Does a larger battery give more POWER? Results inside...

dwain

Here are part of the article I copy and paste from the link I put in my preview post,

Maximum discharge rate. One brand’s latest 18V battery packs are built with cells advertised as having a 20A max discharge rate (22A on paper), and their previous battery packs were built with cells rated with a 25A max discharge rate (23A on paper).

A homeowner brand will not equip their tools with Li-ion batteries rated for 20A+ max discharge rates, and pro-grade brands will not equip their tools with cells rated much lower than that.

As a reference reminder, a battery with a 2.0Ah rated capacity can deliver a 2A discharge rate for 1 hour. Thus, a 20A discharge rate would deplete the battery charge in 6 minutes.

When is the last time you saw a consumer-grade cordless rotary hammer? Angle grinder? Band saw? Consumer-grade cordless tools don’t have the same power requirements as pro-grade tools, and so they don’t require top-dollar battery cells that can deliver the highest maximum discharge rate.

Minimum operating temperature, or rather minimum operating temperature and battery performance at those temperatures. The best rechargeable Li-ion batteries I have seen thus far can deliver 60% of their rated capacities at -4°F, and 80% at 32°F at a 10A discharge rate. A 10A discharge rate would deplete a 2.0Ah battery in 12 minutes at room temperature (100% capacity).

Battery packs that probably won’t be used outdoors in all weather conditions don’t need cells with good cold weather performance.

Life cycle. Samsung’s recent INR batteries maintain 60% or greater charge capacity after 250 charge cycles. More life cycles means longer usability and less frequent replacement schedule.

Minimum/standard capacity. A 2.0Ah battery won’t necessarily deliver 2.0Ah charge capacity under load. 2.0Ah is the nominal capacity, but during high drain discharge, the actual capacity might drop.

Charging time. Higher performance batteries can usually be charged at higher rates, although active cooling is required to achieve the maximum charging rate.

bill-murray-awesome.jpg

w.png

• Like 1

Thanks Abimarssani.

dwain: I also heard brand new battery pack need some time to wear in to the best performance. Then after a year or so depends on the useage, it drop about 10 to 15%. It will continue dropping another 10% each year. But again that just what I heard. Not 100%. Not saying you should that. But you want a complete fair test, it might have be with either 2 brand new pack or 2 pack were similar time purchase around with the same useage, then it might come out with a better results. By the way. My wife bought me the DEWALT DCS355D1 20V XR Lithium-Ion Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit from amazon for my early birthday present. And it just got in today. I have a brand new never be use of charged 4.0 pack and the kit came a brand new 2.0 pack. I might do a comparison on them and see What's the results on the dcs355 with the same way you test on the other tools.