motor swap

1R954Baker-hvac

The 2J would be more "correct" but people seem to be able to shoehorn the LS1 into anything. I know tons of people swap out the rotary engine in the Mazda RX7 and replace it with the LS1. The Mazda rotary engine has tons of expensive issues.

Motor swaps....

One of these days, my CJ7 is gonna get one. I'd dearly love to drop a Mustang 5 litre in it, but I'd also like to swap in a little heavier duty five or six speed manual trans at the same time... The OE T5 is not the most durable, plus the first gear ratio ain't the greatest for crawling. A 5.3l LS motor is a possibility, but I'm a pretty fervent FoMoCo fan.

Of course, if I swap the engine, then I gotta replace the AMC M20 rear end, and the Dana 30 front, add an aftermarket frame...

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

The old Windsor based 4.9/302. I imagine the Coyote version would be mega bucks to get sorted out. There is (or was) a company in San Jose (Z&M Products) that offers a drop in cradle mount for CJs/YJs and maybe TJs.

They can be, but, really, I don't need a ton of power in a CJ. 225ish HP, clean running fuel injection, better mileage, and a loss of some weight are reason enough for me. Ang getting rid of a crappy carb and a leaky valve cover gasket...

Leaving the D300 as is, want to swap a heavier duty transmission, five or six speed with a granny first gear. Maybe NV4500, maybe something else. Still early in the planning stage. At least my '7 give me a little more driveline length than my CJ5 did!