Is Anyone Else Here Into Boating???

DamianD

Anyone else enjoy time on the water??  Here is my 81 Checkmate Enticer with a freshly rebuilt last season Mercury 115 Inline 6.  Some pics of her when I first bought her from Arlington, VA, when i got her home to PA and cleaned up with the machine polisher of course, and also of some of the rebuild.

IMG_0436_zps2fc78199.jpg

image_zps04f181ae.jpg

IMG_0687_zpsbcd8e3ac.jpg

IMG_0779_zpsef879e8a.jpg

IMG_0780_zps0edda4cc.jpg

IMG_0792_zps784b0a91.jpg

Nope!

My philosophy is; a boat is nothing more than a hole in the water constantly begging to be filled with money. When they are not in the water they are only an 'in the way of everything else' liability and another source of income for those who sell boating supplies, services, and government agencies that require licenses for your boat and your trailer.

My son experimented with an 18 ft. 'Alumaweld' a few years back. That's when he discovered his fish were only costing him an average of $109 a lb. He traded his Alumaweld for occasional trips to Safeway. Both the savings and the selection were all the proof he needed. 

Rather spend my few remaining hard earned $$$s on wood and wood working tools, do my fly fishing from the banks of a stream, and keep my feet dry.

Damn that's a nice boat... love the water probily because I'm from Ft.Lauderdale... I don't have a boat but I do like to go deep sea fishing on charter boats when I can... ill probily spring for a boat in maby 5 years , trying to get an R1 first...... I'm not a boat expert butwhat are some good models to look for...?

• Like 1

Damn that's a nice boat... love the water probily because I'm from Ft.Lauderdale... I don't have a boat but I do like to go deep sea fishing on charter boats when I can... ill probily spring for a boat in maby 5 years , trying to get an R1 first...... I'm not a boat expert butwhat are some good models to look for...?

It all depends on what you'd be into.  I like speed.  I spend all my time on a relatively calm river, fly upstream as fast as i can and float back down and enjoy a cold one.  My little 17 footer is perfect for that.  When i take her into choppier waters its a rough ride for sure.  And forget about inlets or the ocean, too small.  

Ive spend my whole life on Checkmate speed boats.  I owned a 21ft Wellcraft bowrider with a 305 I/O with a pretty deep hull for about a year before. That was an OK boat. Handled the chop of the inlets pretty well. Build quality wasn't quite what im used to tho. Search some craigslist, heres a lot of deals out there to be had.

It all depends on what you'd be into.  I like speed.  I spend all my time on a relatively calm river, fly upstream as fast as i can and float back down and enjoy a cold one.  My little 17 footer is perfect for that.  When i take her into choppier waters its a rough ride for sure.  And forget about inlets or the ocean, too small.  

Ive spend my whole life on Checkmate speed boats.  I owned a 21ft Wellcraft bowrider with a 305 I/O with a pretty deep hull for about a year before. That was an OK boat. Handled the chop of the inlets pretty well. Build quality wasn't quite what im used to tho. Search some craigslist, heres a lot of deals out there to be had.

Damn that sounds like fun...