Best oscillating multi tool blades

NERemodeling

I believe after years of trying all sorts of blades i have found the perfect combination for wood/metal cutting

Fein e-cut long life   63502160120

Bosch Carbide OSC114C

I have been using a fein multimaster professionally for around 5 years now and have destroyed my fair share of blades   standard fein e-cut   japan style tooth   cheap ebay blades   even imperial blades.  none of them have shown the promise of this new pairing

I know Imperial blades get a lot of hype, and they did ok cutting nails however they seemed to smoke bad when cutting wood (even with a brand new blade) which would burn up the blade quick..  they dont seem to eject the sawdust well from the cut. 

i try to use the Fein Long Life E-cut blades for wood only but they hold up so well to nails that i really dont have to worry about hitting a few whether they are framers or brads.. the blade cuts very fast, super clean and with no burning..  I will purposely try to avoid screws or any other hardened metal with these as i dont think they are really designed for that

that is where the bosch carbide tipped  blades come in!  these things are increadible at cutting metal.. ill be honest i havent really put them to the test cutting just wood but i have a good feeling they wont stand up against the fein long life.  hitting a screw, which would destroy any other blade is nothing for the OSC114C!!   

for an example;  I recently had a customer request we raise the height of an LVL header we had installed.. of course we were all sheetrocked and taped so i wanted to minimize damage and only remove the sheetrock from one side of the wall   we were unable to access at least a dozen, probably more GRK R4 screws that were holding this header in place so we used a multimaster to cut them..... well 8 blades (fein bimetal and imperial bimetal averaged about 2 screws per blade) and about 2 hours later that sucker was finally out      that is when i decided to get the Bosch carbide blade!!   when i had them in hand i did a quick test.. I cut 4 GRK R4 screws in about 1 or 2 minutes and there was literally no visible wear to the teeth!!!  this blade is serious for metal cutting

any questions feel free to ask.. 

P.S.   i found the best deal on the Bosch osc114c at tools-plus.com

John

• 4 months later...

appreciate your review on this as well,I dont have one of these multi tools yet but am in the market for one. Thanks for your time posting this.

your very welcome..   Multi tools are weird little tools that before you own one you cant understand why everyone loves them so much and you have no clue what you will use it for. Then, as soon as you buy one, you smack yourself in the face for not doing it sooner.  they are very good at making otherwise impossible jobs very easy!

i  fought the same battle about 5 or 6 years ago.. i was much younger, wasnt spending so much money on tools and fein was the only option.. i always thought it would be neat to own one but the price was too high at that time.. that is when their patent ran out and i saw the Dremel version at home depot for $100   i figured for that price it was worth the risk.   i fell in love with the dremel and after about a year it shit the bed.  at that point i knew i would get a lot of use out of the tool so i stepped up and bought the Fein.  it was like going from an old beat down pinto to a brand new Ferrari..  huge difference in vibration, noise, quality and overall feel.  and that was the fein250.. the 350 or supercut is probably that much better than the old model. I do imagine that by now most other models have caught up to the quality of the fein but they have my loyalty for now.      the point of this rant (sorry) buy the best quality you can, you wont regret it.  

No pra-bleh-mo Bigmike!    

for occasional use cordless options are really great. Most of the jobs a multitool is good for are quick cuts so runtime isnt really an issue (unless your a flooring contractor or doing a big grout removal job) I have corded Feins and the M12, i find myself grabbing for the m12 more often now because it is so convenient..   maybe when you have a need, go for one that fits in your existing battery platform.  

• Like 2

No pra-bleh-mo Bigmike!    

for occasional use cordless options are really great. Most of the jobs a multitool is good for are quick cuts so runtime isnt really an issue (unless your a flooring contractor or doing a big grout removal job) I have corded Feins and the M12, i find myself grabbing for the m12 more often now because it is so convenient..   maybe when you have a need, go for one that fits in your existing battery platform.  

This is an option ive been considering, since I have the Bosch 12v line,they have one that would work for me. This isnt a tool id be using everyday on a job as im not a contractor but would use it for stuff around the house,with my 4.0ah batteries id assume that it would work well enough for what id use it for.  I also have the porter cable 20v line and noticed recently they have one too but need to learn which one would be better suited.

This is an option ive been considering, since I have the Bosch 12v line,they have one that would work for me. This isnt a tool id be using everyday on a job as im not a contractor but would use it for stuff around the house,with my 4.0ah batteries id assume that it would work well enough for what id use it for.  I also have the porter cable 20v line and noticed recently they have one too but need to learn which one would be better suited.

cordless should be more that adequate for you. 

I have the makita 18v multitool and the milwaukee m12 multitool.   when i use cordless (90% of the time) i use the milwaukee.. i honestly dont know the last time i used my makita..   I really like how small and light the m12 is.  i imagine the bosch has the same ergonomics. 

I looked into the bosch 12v PS50 and it seems like it has been around, unchanged since late 2008..  they have been rolling out some new brushless 12v tools recently.. if you dont need it right away maybe hold off as long as you can to see if they come out with a new brushless model with some updates

I wouldnt worry about the allen wrench blade change on the bosch.. especially if you use the carbide blades you wont be changing then very often!!

the porter cable looks to be ok, im not fimilar with that style of quick blade change, can you override it and use any type of blade or do you need to only use the open back blades?  maybe that would be a consideration.  its also comes in around $20 cheaper than the bosch

if it were me, i would probably lean towards the bosch, even better wait it out to see if they have a new model coming but i think they would both serve  you well. 

Yeah I was kinda waiting on a brushless version,funny you mentioned that. I have the newer brushless 12v drill/drivers they offer.

yeah the quick change mechanism seemed kind of odd on the porter cable one and would definately be way more bulky and awkward with larger batteries.

I was curious have you tried removing grout with your m12? Our masterbath is nearly fully tiled,was thinking to redo it one day. And there is a few cracked spots id like to fix.

I havent removed any grout with the m12.  any jobs that i have needed to remove grout have been both before i got the m12, quite large and with power nearby so it made sense for me to use my fein..  now that i had the m12, i would attempt to use it for the job before grabbing the fein..  i have no doubt that the m12 would do it but your gonna burn through some batteries..  

I had a cheap ass rattling gizmo of a multi tool that was literally making my back teeth come loose, got it long ago at a yard sale so when I ordered my Milwaukee m12  I thought I was in heaven......even with the Milwaukee designed multi tool being low on the design list compared to other brands I am completely happy with it......and your right, I use it for more things than I ever thought I would.....

U guys really aren't helping with my tool restriction riiight now......lol!

you know we are here for you, we understand we all have weak moments.......and don't ever feel ashamed, we would never tell anyone......remember what happens at TIA stays at TIA......

you know we are here for you, we understand we all have weak moments.......and don't ever feel ashamed, we would never tell anyone......remember what happens at TIA stays at TIA......

LOL Comp thanks man!! It's good to know my crew members are here for me in these tough times