Trailer wiring....

RickyMcGrath

Now this is by far an electrical schematic, but it gets the idea across. I am working on a concept for wiring up my tool trailer and am wondering if this concept will work.

C1F5068A-560F-4088-AD3B-17776B800108.jpg

After I drew this up, I realize, the battery maintainer should be connected on the other side of the switch. So the 110V should be direct to the switch, eliminating the junction.

One thing I'm confused on is, how would I connect a solar panel to charge the battery? Would I need a second switch that connects the solar panel and the 110v line power to the battery maintainer?

I have seen them where the trailer has a battery but is connected to the truck so it gets charged when the vehicle runs. There was also some way they had it where the trailer battery wouldn't run down the truck battery. It seemed pretty cool. I can look into that if you want.

I have seen them where the trailer has a battery but is connected to the truck so it gets charged when the vehicle runs. There was also some way they had it where the trailer battery wouldn't run down the truck battery. It seemed pretty cool. I can look into that if you want.

I've thought about that too.... That just requires running a lead direct from the truck battery to the trailer battery with some type of disconnect at the rear of the truck. I like the idea, but don't. If I could see a rough diagram, that may cause me to lean on direction or the other.

Hey Ricky, what's your power requirements for the trailer. Do you need portable 120v and 12v? Do you want your truck to charge your trailer?

Do you own any hardware yet? If so, what do you have?

I really only need 120V in the trailer. I only plan on running some battery chargers & some LED flat panel lights in the trailer. Maybe a coffee maker and the occasional pancake compressor.

I only have a 2000W inverter at this point along with a heavy gauge inverter wiring kit.

Having the truck charge the battery isn't a necessity, but if that's easier and more economical, then I'd entertain the idea.

So you need a battery for the trailer, the more amp-hours the better. Think of amp-hours as capacity, the battery is the "gas" for your inverter and the bigger the "tank"/ amp-hour, the longer you can run. Yellow top is the best because it can handle a deep discharge and the abuse your going to put it through. Buy one with a 3 year warranty and you will most likely be able to turn it in before the warranty expires and get a new one. I'm not telling you to break your battery intentionally but it happens. (If $$$ is an issue then you can get by with a regular battery and upgrade later. Also, you can build your system in stages... Upgrading as needed)

It's best to keep your battery in a purpose built box, you can buy a battery box that's ready to mount and holds 2 batteries. If you wire your batteries in parallel you keep the 12v but increase the current. Alternatively you can wire your batteries in series and create a 24v system, but your going to need an inverter and gear rated for 24v. It's often easier to run 12v. It's important to use the correct gauge wire, box, and fuse. Batteries can catch fire and explode!

You will need a way to charge the battery, solar is great if you plan to use the trailer on site or camping. You can also wire it to charge off your trucks electrical system. This method is faster then solar but requires modification to your truck and obviously your truck needs to be running for your trailer to charge. Also you will need to install a battery isolator. Last, you can just plug a battery charger in when needed. Might be a cost effective way to start your project but I'm sure plugging in your trailer every night will be a pain in the ass. You can combine the three for the ultimate system.

I can provide a schematic when I'm at my computer (typing on iPad) but here are some options.

Easy & Cheap

One battery on trailer, fused with 120v battery charger wired. Will require you to plug in the trailer when charge is needed. LED's run off 12v, additional 12v automotive cigarette lighter socket provided. 12v tool battery charger, 12v coffee maker. Battery fused to inverter, 120v plug from inverter with on/off switch on +DC of inverter, breaker on plug.

Better

One or two batteries, charging system provided from truck

Best

Two batteries, charging from truck, solar, and battery maintainer via 120v. Sound system and blender for margaritas :)

• 3 weeks later...