Never again Dewalt

Brewzur

I'll start off by saying I'm writing this in anger so keep that in mind. Every power tool I own is Dewalt except for a 7" grinder & a abrasive chop saw, both are Hitachi.

Today was the final straw for Dewalt as my 4 1/2" grinder packed it in, I've owned it for approx. 8 years but it is not worked hard and not used a lot. I also have a circular saw that has a height adjustment seized from condensation and a jigsaw (top of the line one) that won't hold the blade any more, it was only used like 5 times. Does Dewalt even test new designs before offering them to the public?

i think quality is out the window in recent years for almost everything electronic, its all become a commodity industry, newer stuff is always gamble id say, dont matter that type of equipment and where it comes from, because i repair all kinds of electronics and see the parts that are used in everything. most things are becoming not repairable, due to the amount of cheaper components used. 

I don't know where you work or what materials you work with, but that sounds like it is part of your problem. Little used tools don't corrode up for no reason. Are you working with treated lumber all the time? Are your tools stored in a damp or wet environment? Do you work near the ocean in a salty air environment? How about using them around fertilizer? All of those things will cause them to corrode faster than they do for most people. If it is one of those environments, it won't matter what brand you have, you are destined to have short tool life a corrosion issues, especially if you don't clean up, dry off and lubricate your tools properly.

what exactly happend to the grinder?

The Switch

I know I'm a huge dewalt. But if u have a car and it's not used often the brakes go. Just saying.

When I say not used much I'm talking 10 times a month so if my truck's brakes go cause "it's not often" I won't being buying that make any more ;)

I don't know where you work or what materials you work with, but that sounds like it is part of your problem. Little used tools don't corrode up for no reason. Are you working with treated lumber all the time? Are your tools stored in a damp or wet environment? Do you work near the ocean in a salty air environment? How about using them around fertilizer? All of those things will cause them to corrode faster than they do for most people. If it is one of those environments, it won't matter what brand you have, you are destined to have short tool life a corrosion issues, especially if you don't clean up, dry off and lubricate your tools properly.

I do live near the Ocean, about 5 km but I do keep all of my power tools in cabinets, insulated shop, heat is only on when I'm in there. My point is my 2 Hitachi power tools are older than any of my Dewalt tools but are still going strong, last night I noticed my Dewalt palm sander's switch is being sporadic so never again will I buy a Dewalt tool.

i think quality is out the window in recent years for almost everything electronic, its all become a commodity industry, newer stuff is always gamble id say, dont matter that type of equipment and where it comes from, because i repair all kinds of electronics and see the parts that are used in everything. most things are becoming not repairable, due to the amount of cheaper components used. 

You are right there, everything these days is made to last 5 years max.

It's actually fairly common with vehicles about the brake thing. A car sitting will have the brakes fail rather quickly. Eveytime u apply the brakes your grinding off that surface rust that develops on them over time. If they set the rust builds up and eventually they rot out. That being said we pay an arm and a leg for tools and are trucks, dam it we expect them to last.