Lithium Ion Batteries

seahawks

I have a friend who says Lithium ion batteries are the best. There company uses this type of battery in their computer back up and says these batteries have no downside. I was talking to him about getting a Milwaukee V28 when this subject came up. He was telling me to just go with any Lithium as they are all the same don't worry about the brand name. Can anyone help me out I feel lost. Does anyone know anything about Lithium Ion batteries. Are they really better? Is there any downside? any help would be great.

We wrote something for a shop teacher a couple of years ago he used for his class. I will try to find the information and send it to you. There are pro's and con's to Lithium Ion technology. Also power tool Lithium Ion batteries are different than computer, but I will go over all that and send it over to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Lithium Ion Batteries are definitely much better than a Nickel Metal Hydride. They have a 40% longer life and a 30% lighter. Every manufacturer's Lithium Ion Batteries are built different. Some are better than others. I would recommend the Hitachi Power Tool Battery or the Makita Power Tool Battery. They have both been out longer than everybody else (3-4 years now). They both have great warranties, for a Power Tool Battery. I don't think a 28 Volt is necessary unless you have heavy work. 18V Battery is all you really ever need. My experience in sales of 28V and 36V Batteries is limited. The 18V sells 99% of the time. You pay a lot more for not much more.

Steve