Buy new set or stay with what I have

tommyboy

I have the Craftsman 75th Anniversary tools set I bought back somewhere around 2000- 2003. I more of a weekend warrior, well I know what I am doing, but just don't have the time. Anyways the 19.2 batteries no longer hold a charge and not sure what to do. It will cost about $70 to get two new batteries, but after reading the review for the Milwaukee V28 on the home page, I can get a new kit for around $600. Am I better off just keeping the kit I have or should I upgrade to the Milwaukee V28?

I love V28 and use it all the time, so interested to see what power tool guide review is like. If you don't have a use for the V28 power, there is no need to get one. However, I would look at getting the Milwaukee M18. I haven't heard any review yet, so not sure. You can also go with a Nicd battery system as these are a lot cheaper and don't have to worry about battery level when your not using the power tool. There are a lot of place online to get these tools. Just shop around or better yet email the guys here, they seem to know where the good deals are and for what type of power tools.

I would go with new batteries. Lithium batteries are lighter and do hold a charge longer, but the go bad quicker which means you will not get that much use out of them. The Nicd will last you a long time especially since they will be sitting around. If you use tools everyday, go with the Lithium as they are worth it, but from what i see they are not for people who occasionally use them.

I'd go with buying new bats. The V28 is Nice (really nice) but you not using the tools everyday or even every other day. Also what they said is true... The bats do die faster. At this point I'm not sure if it is because the charger is faster (Nicd normally is 1hr VS Lith is 15m or 30m). Either way $70 is a lot better than a $600 in wasted shelf space.