makita vs. other brands

torontotoolman

my experience with makita has been very good, i own lots of makita tools, everything from air compressors, wood working tools, various power tools, and more recently cordless lxt tools. i always bought the best they made of everything knowing they will hold up to what i use them for, professional use. i always like that makita has been the same company, which has some confidence as a brand. as far as the lxt cordless stuff, ive personally never had any problems with the batteries or tools, ive owned some original made in japan lxt drills and batteries, over 8 years old, still work with granted battery life decrease. been using makita ever since the 9v stick battery nicad cordless drills. 

I am going to be buying a Makita cordless shortly. I researched a ton once I realized I couldn't go wrong with any of the big lines I looked at what some of the most recent released tools. Than ultimately I let my wife pick between 5 different tools since she is buying it for me for a father's day gift. She thought the Makita has a pretty color.

Ultimately though you have to be careful with reviews. Many (as was pointed our to me on these forums) are by jaded customers who may have misused tools and such

• Like 1

Makita was kinda stale introducing new tools and new batteries for a little bit at least in the USA. The quality of all the mass market tool brands is pretty similar it comes down to preference and does the company offer the tools you need. Milwaukee pushes the envelope but I will admit it does seem like they can have teething/quality issues with certain tools. Milwaukee has pumped out a ton of new tools in a short period of time compared to the other brands.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with Makita, just a 4" corded angle grinder, a very basic LXT brushed hammer drill, and some accessories.What I have I like. I think I have myself talked into an hyphoid circular saw and some more of the LXT cordless stuff... probably the new impact driver, maybe a 1/2" drive impact wrench, maybe the new super drill. I would have no problem if I would have started with the Makita stuff rather than the M18 stuff I have...

I think all the top tool companies have similar quality now a days. I don't use makita but know a few people who love theirs

True.. All in all ,all pro tools are top quality.. Some companies make better saws,some make better grinders and some have a bigger cordless program then others..

Thanks guys i already own the milwaukee m18 compacked drill driver and impact not brushless i should say and i love the impact but im thinking for cordless hammer drill i heard great things about makita now i dont really care about mixed matched tools as im not really a cordless tool guy.im a pro framer so corded power.is were im at but for.my personal use and small little side jobs i .dont.mind cordless drills i just got the bosch sds corded rotary hammer and love.it

the latest Makita brushless hammer drill is a monster, powerful but not quite as comfy as others. The links in my signature will take you to a pretty comprehensive review of the best from Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch and Metabo...

I think the more 'negative' reviews are from some time ago.  Makita was abit slow in releasing new tools and they were quite late in releasing batteries/tools  with anti deep discharging tech ( The number 1 way too kill your batteries, and henceforth the many " makita batteries suck" on the inet.  All brands had this problem really in the past).

That's all old news now tho :)

Last year was a great year for Makita i think.   Quite some king of the hill top end tools.    The Brushless hammer drill, angle grinder, circ saw, jig saw, impact driver, impact wrench, etc.... only see their equal in milwaukee most of the time.

But Makita has the fastest charge time in industry ( with all these high draw tools it could be a blessing ! ) and also the largest selection of 18V compatible tools giving you all the cordless options you ever want.  

Makita makes good tools, but I find them really uncomfortable to use their drills, what I've tried. I liked their compact drill/driver set I used once but everything else feels really awkward in my hand.  

Where they've gone very right is the side by side battery tools that operate at 36v. As a contractor that makes my Dewalt sweet spot twitch with envy sometimes. 

Also charge time...damn they charge fast, really....REALLY fast. The 5.0Ah charges in 45min...literally less than half the time it takes the Dewalt to do the same. I'd have half the number of batteries for the same tools with Makita. 

Food for thought. 

The best tool is varying in each class, but for my taste, I think the best from makita's cordeless lineup is their heaviest 18V drills, impact drivers and their 36V (2x18V) circular saw (I wish it was brushless). 

Their compact drills on the other hand, is not their biggest strength. Here, both milwaukee and Bosch have better offerings, especially in their 12V/10,8V lineup. 

I belive the best way is using a combo of different brands. Take the best from each.

Though, sticking to one brand at their 18V system is probably wise. And since my main demands is mostly heavy drilling and sawing, makita was, and still is, probably the best choice for me on 18V systems. I'd love a Mafell corded Jig-saw, Makita 2012NB, and perhaps Bosch's biggest mitter saw (Bosch GCM 12).

I have no idea how anyone could say that Makita (or any of the other big brands) is shit. Some tools are genuinly good, other is more on the bad side. 

But if you want the best of the best in quality, old style/industrial equipment, you should be prepared to pay a lot more and look another way than Dewalt, makita, milwaukee, metabo etc. But now we are talking a steep multiplier in cost. And they are always made in germany, GB, USA among others. 

I have to say that I have been pretty impressed with the Makita 18v tools that I have purchased. Their tools have held up well and offer all the performance I need. I originally bought into the platform when I was moving from ni-cad to lithium. I knew that brushless was the way I wanted to go and the LXDT01 was the only brushless Impact I could get my hands on at the time. I had actually planned on going with Dewalt for my 18v/20v tools, but I have found some good deals on Makita as of late and/or they have some brushless items that the rest of the big 4 don't offer, so I have found myself with more and more Makita.

I have to say that I have been pretty impressed with the Makita 18v tools that I have purchased. Their tools have held up well and offer all the performance I need. I originally bought into the platform when I was moving from ni-cad to lithium. I knew that brushless was the way I wanted to go and the LXDT01 was the only brushless Impact I could get my hands on at the time. I had actually planned on going with Dewalt for my 18v/20v tools, but I have found some good deals on Makita as of late and/or they have some brushless items that the rest of the big 4 don't offer, so I have found myself with more and more Makita.

Ya so makita is looking good from what iv been reading on this i really just want there big 18v hammerdrill i heard its killing the rest now im not biga fan of no corded saws and prob wont ever buy them im a warmdrive kind of guy so buying into a battery platfrom isnt a big deal thats why il buy from each brand just wanted to know if makita is a worth it brand and from what iv been reading it is soo thanks

Ya so makita is looking good from what iv been reading on this i really just want there big 18v hammerdrill i heard its killing the rest now im not biga fan of no corded saws and prob wont ever buy them im a warmdrive kind of guy so buying into a battery platfrom isnt a big deal thats why il buy from each brand just wanted to know if makita is a worth it brand and from what iv been reading it is soo thanks

I'm a wormdrive kind of guy too. Or I was...now I do rip's with my new 20v Dewalt, and I haven't looked back. Probably 1/4 of the weight. Doesn't have the torque but it cuts fine for 2x material, even handles PT. Only thing I won't do with it is rip 4x4 PT, and I don't exactly do that often.

Had a guy laugh at me on a job I was working on for ripping thick T111 with it. He left the job that day to go to home depot to buy his own. 

Ya but one thing.i cant get over on sidewinders in the blade on the right side i love.it.on.the left Thats one reason.im all for warmdrives and im.a framer so i rip 4x4 pretty often specialy with the flatroof boom up here but we dont see many sidewinders on the job site i see more home reno handy.man or deck fence guys useing them not so.much the pro framers but they are.lighter i one a corded dewalt sidewinder i.got it befor i.got my skil warmdrive and since then i have never used it

i think this debate comes down to what you're used to. my OTT partner loves a right-sided bladed, and he's a left hander, which means that we both like the blade on the user side.

i hadn't used a regular (right-sided blade) circ saw for years and years like others, so when i got my cordless 20V saw, i was a convert the the left-side blade.

Yeah this is quite the debate that won't end anytime soon. I've got a Makita Hypoid (magnesium) with the blade on the left as is my Dewalt. I'm a south paw but have just gotten used to blade placement. My old Makita 18v was on the right side which was awesome for me.