Cut down track saw guide rail

RickyMcGrath

I picked up an extra 102" guide rail for the track saw and am strongly considering cutting it down to around 32" & 70" to offer more variety in my guides. I don't have them handy and just wanted to ask if that would be a good dimension to allow for more common cuts. Will a 32" rail allow me to cut at least 24" while keeping the adjustable guides on the saw in contact with the guide rail on both the start and finish of the cut? Or should I go up to a 36" guide rail and a 66".

Thanks in advance.

Ricky, I've got the Festool tracks, three of them all 55". One is an LR32 rail. I wish I had a longer 118" rail but right now I have to suffice with connecting rods to break down sheets goods. I guess what I'm saying is, you cut the track and want to do long stuff you might be sol. On he other hand 102" is and odd number when you consider on the Festool tracks you really need over hang of several inches on both sides to cut sheets.

I have two 102" tracks and a 59" track. The 59" is just too long to comfortably cut 21-24" stock or even smaller for cabinets. I'm also considering building the Ron Paulk Cross Cut jig and a 59" track is simply too much track.

Ultimately id have a ~32", 59", 70" and a 102" track.

I keep my eye out for a good deal on a slightly damaged Festool track to do just what you are going to do. I would go closer to 42" because it would still just work for cutting down a 36" door...but really the 59" does that fine. I think you are good for the 32" and 70".

I presume you have connectors to make them as long as you want too?