Why are Some Tools not availible in the U.S.?

Cheng Liu

I recently visited Ryobi's Australian website and it seems they have a number of cool looking tools that are not availible in the U.S. I am just wondering why that would be, considering that the U.S. is a far bigger market than Austrailia. For example if they made this in the U.S. I would sell my current blower now and get that ASAP. The current Ryobi 40v. blower is great, but unlike that one, this is also a vacuum. The same thing goes for this. The current Ryobi 18v SDS rotary hammer drill (which I own) is great and all, but a major sticking point for me is the lack of a hammer only mode.

I wish I knew how they decided what tools to bring over. They also sell a 36v brushless lawn mower that uses 2 of the 18v one plus packs in Europe. That's nice because some people don't need the other 36/40v yard tools they can do most of their yard work with the 18v cordless tools. I guess if you really wanted them you could import the tool, but it would be expensive. Ryobi and Home Depot i think pick tools that they know will be big sellers, or they sell in the other markets first till production ramps up.

It's just marketing I'm pretty sure the 40v is just the max amperage rating. You are allowed to do that in the usa is use the max battery voltage. 12v tools are really 10.8 and Dewalt does a similar thing with their 20v tools they are called 18v xr everywhere else but the usa.

• Like 1