Need advice about jigsaws

nothandyman

I'm looking for a $100-$150 jigsaw. I had pretty much narrowed it down to two, but a building supply shop with contractor tools recommended another one. My thoughts:

1. DeWalt DW331K. What I like about this saw is: toolless blade change AND toolless shoe bevel, dust blower, detents for shoe angle, flush cut blade.

2. Bosch 1590EVSK. This has the same features except that the shoe angle settings don't have detents (I'm not sure how accurate the DeWalt's are, but that would be good to know) and it doesn't have a flush cut blade. The main thing that makes this more appealing to me is that most contractors I know use Bosch jigsaws.

3. Freud FJ85K. This doesn't have detents, tool-free shoe bevel, blower or flush cut. However, the building supply sales guy said it's the best built of the three, and I should forget about the extra features in this price range and get the better saw. Reviews I've read say it's a better value than the Bosch because it's $50 less, but they don't discuss the differences I mentioned.

I'd appreciate comments on this. Even though it's not all that much money, I'd like to get a solid tool. Thanks.

All are great jigsaws, but I would go with Bosch. Not knocking Dewalt as there are a contractor tool, but Bosch is known for their jigsaws. Look around any jobsite and you will see Bosch. If it can take the abuse there, it can take it anywhere. The Dewalt does have a lot of nice features. Bosch is more expensive for two reasons. First the name. They build great tools and their name is know by all contractors, so that adds a little more. The second and main reason is they are by far a true professional grade manufacture. Bosch doesn't try to capture the home market like Dewalt and Freud, they focus on the professional market which means they compeat against Hilti and other top companies. They can not afford to build junk. Yes you will pay more, but you get more. Trust me, the Bosch jigsaw will outlast its time. What I mean is the 1590EVSk will still be running when the new class of jigsaws come out in the future that are lighter etc, way beyond the Lithium stage. Go with the Bosch

Go with the Bosch. I have 3 Bosch Jigsaws and will own nothing but Bosch. Detents are nice, but how often do you really use them with a jigsaw. A miter saw yes, but most cuts with a Jigsaw you don't need them. A jigsaw allows the user more freedom of a cut. Its like a bandsaw, but portable. I could see why that might be of interest to you and yes, sometimes they can be nice, but after a little use, you will be a pro. My Bosch saws take a lot of abuse, but they are durable. Just my two cents or is it sense?

Thanks - I'm sold. And it's "cents," as opposed to "nothandyman would have no *sense* if he bought the Freud or the DeWalt saw." Hope you're right about my being a pro soon; every time I do a project it looks good to family and friends but I see all the mistakes. It would be great to be a pro on at least one tool!

I am the same way. Everytime I do something, I only see the little mistakes, so i know where you are coming from. All you need is practice and you will be a pro, just takes time. None of us were experts ate the begining. I plowed through so much wood and wasted cut after cut. Your off to a good start and the more you work at this, the more you will understand that having the right tools and having good tools is 90% the key.

• 2 weeks later...