The right mitre saw for me?

Turner85

So I've been stressing myself out lately looking at mitre saw reviews and when you look long and hard enough you find bad reviews on all top brands. Bosch, Festool, Dewalt and Makita are the ones I've been looking at, all there latest 12inch models. Basically I can afford either of the four but Festool would be saw only as I don't have enough to cover the stand also, and if I was to buy the dewalt or Makita with a stand I'd still have money left over to buy another power tool of some kind, and as for the Bosch with the stand that would be right on budget. (Bosch are overpriced in Ireland).

Anyway I've been using an old Elektra Beckum for the past 10+ years so either of these saws will be a huge improvement in nearly every category. So basically I'm a carpenter, I work mainly in occupied homes. I do most my cutting outdoors so dust extraction isn't a huge selling point, I'd be looking more at mobility, accuracy and how durable the saw is. I seem to be drawn back to the Dewalt Dws780 more than the others but having had my hands on a display model I found the sliding mechanism poor and its popped up a lot in reviews I've read so its kind of holding me back from buying it.

So what do you guys think, give me your best sales pitch. Maybe I'll go with the one that gets the most votes.

what about Milwaukee on sale here with stand for $599.

I'm in Ireland Comp, where we never get good deals on tools. I'd normally look to the UK for stuff but postage on something this big just brings me back to Irish prices

Can you get a decent prize on a Makita LS1216 with stand where you live?

That's a fully featured saw with all the bells and whistles =)

woh, kornomaniac recommending a Makita? No way! ;)

The Bosch gliding saw and the Dewalt 780 seem to be the favourites. I think the 780 has more negative reviews around because it outnumbers all the others too...

Having said that, Makita, Hitach, Metabo would all be great saws too. Very useful I know ;) I would go the Bosch if I had the $$$.

Turner I have the 780 and love it but in no way am I a pro carpenter either I think the slides feel great but this is coming from a guy who upgraded from a 10" craftsman saw and I didn't have any experience with any other brand. Dewalt does have there 90 day money back guarantee if u don't like it.

Honestly, of the ones you mentioned I'd opt for the Bosch. They're nice saws and I've never been able to stomach Festool prices

The Bosch is tempting and it's the only one I can get the rolling stand with here in Ireland as I can't get seem to find the other brands rolling stands anywhere and having seen it in person I just love that axial glide.

Can you get a decent prize on a Makita LS1216 with stand where you live?

That's a fully featured saw with all the bells and whistles =)

Makita tools are reasonably priced over here, I really like everything about this saw but been reading about the fences going off square to the blade and causing kickback is what's putting me off. Have you any experience with this issue?

The Bosch gliding saw and the Dewalt 780 seem to be the favourites. I think the 780 has more negative reviews around because it outnumbers all the others too...

Having said that, Makita, Hitach, Metabo would all be great saws too. Very useful I know ;) I would go the Bosch if I had the $$$.

Thanks Dwain, I appreciate the input. One more vote for Bosch

So I've been stressing myself out lately looking at mitre saw reviews and when you look long and hard enough you find bad reviews on all top brands. Bosch, Festool, Dewalt and Makita are the ones I've been looking at, all there latest 12inch models. Basically I can afford either of the four but Festool would be saw only as I don't have enough to cover the stand also, and if I was to buy the dewalt or Makita with a stand I'd still have money left over to buy another power tool of some kind, and as for the Bosch with the stand that would be right on budget. (Bosch are overpriced in Ireland).

Anyway I've been using an old Elektra Beckum for the past 10+ years so either of these saws will be a huge improvement in nearly every category. So basically I'm a carpenter, I work mainly in occupied homes. I do most my cutting outdoors so dust extraction isn't a huge selling point, I'd be looking more at mobility, accuracy and how durable the saw is. I seem to be drawn back to the Dewalt Dws780 more than the others but having had my hands on a display model I found the sliding mechanism poor and its popped up a lot in reviews I've read so its kind of holding me back from buying it.

So what do you guys think, give me your best sales pitch. Maybe I'll go with the one that gets the most votes.

Turner, the Kapex is expensive but....

Also, you can put that saw on any saw stand with a modification. For instance, I built a small table that I secured to my Kapex and them my Ryobi saw stand and it worked out pretty well. I'm waiting for a Fastcap fence to come in now for my Kapex that's going to attach directly to the cutting table. I'm with you though, dropping nearly $900 for the stand set was a joke. I got the MFT Kapex now on a sale and it works slick as snot. But....I did a lot of research on the miter saws and ended up taking my advice, get the best you can afford for the one time purchase. Save up. If you need it now then that's life! As far as votes....

Desalt DW780

Milwaukee 6955

Makita LS 10 or 12" models

Bosch Axial

AND........

the KAPEX!!!!

Turner, the Kapex is expensive but....

Also, you can put that saw on any saw stand with a modification. For instance, I built a small table that I secured to my Kapex and them my Ryobi saw stand and it worked out pretty well. I'm waiting for a Fastcap fence to come in now for my Kapex that's going to attach directly to the cutting table. I'm with you though, dropping nearly $900 for the stand set was a joke. I got the MFT Kapex now on a sale and it works slick as snot. But....I did a lot of research on the miter saws and ended up taking my advice, get the best you can afford for the one time purchase. Save up. If you need it now then that's life! As far as votes....

Desalt DW780

Milwaukee 6955

Makita LS 10 or 12" models

Bosch Axial

AND........

the KAPEX!!!!

I watched a kapex go for €350 on a local sales site recently. It was the wrong voltage for me though as it was 230v and we have to use 110v on site over here. I could have bought it but in the future if I'm on any building site I wouldn't be allowed use it

Makita tools are reasonably priced over here, I really like everything about this saw but been reading about the fences going off square to the blade and causing kickback is what's putting me off. Have you any experience with this issue?

I work at a hardware store in Belgium where  Makita is our main selling brand and the LS1216 is the main mitre saw that goes to professionals over here.  You might wanna check out these saws in real life in a store nearby you.  Like any decent mitre saws the fences are ridgid cast aluminium.  They dont go off square by their own :)

But like has been said: any of the models of any top brand will be a good mitre saw.  And for every machine you can find some disgruntled customers who spit negatives on the internet.

Maybe more important: how is the service for different brands in your neighbourhood?

The biggest reason Makita is so big in our province is because they just provide the quickest / bestest after service for repairs / parts availability etc...

That's probably the most important feature of a mitre saw... service ;)

Yeah who would have thought :D

It's what you're familiar with of course :)

If i can recommend and sell the LS1216 on a weekly basis to craftsman / carpenters / builders / however you call it in english  then i'm happy enough to advice someone online with tools i'm comfortable with of course :)

That sucks @Turner85 ! Last night I splurged and ordered the Fastcap Best Fence system for my Kapex. Absolutely phenomenal saw, if you ever get a chance to try it, it really is amazing. Just picked up an 80t fine blade for it too. Good luck though! I'm sure whatever you get is going to serve you well. I got to mess around with a Makita 10" slider just before I got my Kapex and it was a really nice machine.

Travelled Dublin to try find each of the mitre saws I'm looking for, only one I found was the dewalt and I had a good look over it. The slide mechanism wasn't as bad as I first thought so I think I'll order it. €350 cheaper than the Bosch also

Hey alright Turner! You got an awesome saw dude. That was a real contender for me and the XPS light is the best light out there in my opinion! Congratulations on getting a great lol that'll last you a LONG time!

Thanks everyone, it's a beast of a machine. Bigger than I imagined but lighter than my old machine which was only a 10inch. Just used it for a couple of cuts while I was installing an attic hatch and ladder earlier today and had no issues. Sliding action seems fine, nothing like what I've been reading in reviews