Watch "Milwaukee FUEL M18 SDS MAX Rotary Hammer Overview- Periscope Pick" on YouTube

torontotoolman

https://youtu.be/N_Y3X3OZngg

I cant seem to find the hype in this and il give my opinion now if your using this for chipping it say you get 20 mins of chip time witch is what the girl says in the video... thats not long enough when people are chiping its usually an all day job and if your only getting 20 mins of chip time then oh gotta switch my battery you got to have a next battery ready to go then hope that next battery is charged by the time the next.battery is drained i dont no i see no big deal to plug in and chipp all day..... i understand drills being cordless and even some saws being cordless but a rotary hammer is another story whats next a cordless jack hammer ya you get 10 mind or run time that will get the job done hahah some tools need to stay corded

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm about to buy a new sds myself. Probably this or the dewalt brushless that also has chipping mode on it. To be honest I doubt I'd ever use such a small tool for anything more than a few minutes chipping. Seems like too much work for such a small tool

I'm about to buy a new sds myself. Probably this or the dewalt brushless that also has chipping mode on it. To be honest I doubt I'd ever use such a small tool for anything more than a few minutes chipping. Seems like too much work for such a small tool

Ya thats my point but if your buying a tool that you know is not gonna stand for the demand that the type of tool is ment for whats the point i mean ya if your not using the tool all the time and for small jobs i can see the argument but still a bigger job or need might come up then what you gonna do buy a propper sds corded or rent one seems like a wast of money when you can just buy a corded one that you know will last and will work all day big or small job then your safe and the batterys arnt gonna be cheap so right away you know you will need 2. 9 ah batterys so extra cost it just doesnt seem valid for a contractor or trades man

Ya thats my point but if your buying a tool that you know is not gonna stand for the demand that the type of tool is ment for whats the point i mean ya if your not using the tool all the time and for small jobs i can see the argument but still a bigger job or need might come up then what you gonna do buy a propper sds corded or rent one seems like a wast of money when you can just buy a corded one that you know will last and will work all day big or small job then your safe and the batterys arnt gonna be cheap so right away you know you will need 2. 9 ah batterys so extra cost it just doesnt seem valid for a contractor or trades man

I agree with you all the way. Just I think a majority of people buying this will be just buying it for its drilling features and the chipping is just a bonus to have if there's ever that small job that you don't need to whip the big boy out for. I've got a Hitachi sds max that I will still turn to for any wall chasing, tile removing etc.

I agree with you all the way. Just I think a majority of people buying this will be just buying it for its drilling features and the chipping is just a bonus to have if there's ever that small job that you don't need to whip the big boy out for. I've got a Hitachi sds max that I will still turn to for any wall chasing, tile removing etc.

Ya i see where you are coming from and im sure it will serve its purpose just for me i dont see the hype its cool but for me its kinda like (oh the latest ipad/iphone) kinda fad thing for me with tools im into power durability and longevity and practicality to me thats more important then "the next big thing" but hey thats why im a tool user and not a marketing guy for milwaukee lol

I have seen jobsites with a guy dedicated to moving and protecting the extension cord for each guy drilling to set rebar. There is definitely a market for this tool. It's just not you.

Definitly not me and i cant see any pro using this tool all pros i know are old school been in the trades for years and swear by corded they dont even no how far batterys have come in the years soo i cant see them buying into this..... and really if your drilling/chipping all day how could this really honeslty be productive i mean the amount of batterys and charging you would need to do like think about it if you get 20 mins of run time your going threw 2 batterys an hour come on bud with a cord you plug in amd your going all day long....

I have seen jobsites with a guy dedicated to moving and protecting the extension cord for each guy drilling to set rebar. There is definitely a market for this tool. It's just not you.

I can't see them ever using 18v for this purpose. Be cheaper to keep the guy moving the cords
  • Like 1

I can't see them ever using 18v for this purpose. Be cheaper to keep the guy moving the cords

Lol ya why take a job from a hard working cord protector hahahah but really in all honestly stuff happens blah blah but if you cant take a min to fix your cord and to move your cord out of the way then maybe you shouldnt be using powertools.... like wen im at work framing up houses we got powercords and airhoses out the ass hha tosing them threw the windows what ever it may be and its not that big of a deal and not that much of an inconvenience for me buy running out of power well (cutting/drilling) stoping what you are doing having to go charge up or switch a battery is more annoying then having cords laying around

People said the same thing about cordless angle grinders. and circular saws. and reciprocating saws. and multi-tools. and planers. and garden tools.

And yet the tech keeps growing, and the market for it grows with it....

• Like 1

People said the same thing about cordless angle grinders. and circular saws. and reciprocating saws. and multi-tools. and planers. and garden tools.

And yet the tech keeps growing, and the market for it grows with it....

Are you on a job site every day actually using the tools? Dont get me wrong i see the benifits of "some" cordless tools.. example if im doing a few cuts or framing a fence or a small job then yes il pull out the makita brushless cordless circ saw but if im framing up a house like i do everyday for work im not pulling out cordless nothing maybe to cut some roof vents or to make some roof cuts a cordless will work but thats it.

There are also guys doing the same thing as you or building decks etc. who run no cords all day and are equally happy. You old school corded guys are part of the market but corded market share is lower and lower every year I'm sure.

The only cords I see on sites anymore are pneumatic, big SDS etc.

There are also guys doing the same thing as you or building decks etc. who run no cords all day and are equally happy. You old school corded guys are part of the market but corded market share is lower and lower every year I'm sure.

The only cords I see on sites anymore are pneumatic, big SDS etc.

See people are taking what im saying as im anti-cordless witch is not the case i see the use and convience cordless and therr are certain cordless tools id buy forsure but my point with this thread is i dont see the usefulness or convience in a cordless sds the demanding work load on such a tool is to much in my eyes plus the extra money its gonna cost

Are you on a job site every day actually using the tools? Dont get me wrong i see the benifits of "some" cordless tools.. example if im doing a few cuts or framing a fence or a small job then yes il pull out the makita brushless cordless circ saw but if im framing up a house like i do everyday for work im not pulling out cordless nothing maybe to cut some roof vents or to make some roof cuts a cordless will work but thats it.

I'm not, and I understand you still need cords for the way you work currently. But you're missing my point. My point was that battery operated tools are just continuing to grow and evolve.

15 years ago, a cordless drill wouldn't cut it for 95% of contractors working all day with a drill. now it would cater for 95%.

5 Years ago, maybe 5-10% of contractors would have found a cordless circular, grinder or recip saw to be a significant help to their trade. Now I bet that figure is more like 50%.

10 years from now, I suspect that cordless tools will account for 90% of all contractor hand-held/portable power tool usage. It may not satisfy your needs just yet, but others use the tool differently/less than you. And implying that the manufacturer doesn't understand the market, or any particular tool will never be cordless just seems short-sighted to me.

I'm not, and I understand you still need cords for the way you work currently. But you're missing my point. My point was that battery operated tools are just continuing to grow and evolve.

15 years ago, a cordless drill wouldn't cut it for 95% of contractors working all day with a drill. now it would cater for 95%.

5 Years ago, maybe 5-10% of contractors would have found a cordless circular, grinder or recip saw to be a significant help to their trade. Now I bet that figure is more like 50%.

10 years from now, I suspect that cordless tools will account for 90% of all contractor hand-held/portable power tool usage. It may not satisfy your needs just yet, but others use the tool differently/less than you. And implying that the manufacturer doesn't understand the market, or any particular tool will never be cordless just seems short-sighted to me.

I never implied that the "manufacturer doesnt know or understand the market" and again everyone keeps making it out like im anti cordless witch im not i see the value in cordless tools my.whole point in the thread was.... let me say it once again i dont see the practicality of a cordless sds and i dont see the hype in it that was my point now i love debating tools we all love tools and thats why we are here if we all shared the same opinion it would be a pretty boring forum and i agree with 95% of what you just said i have no doubt in the futur cordless will be the more popular option it is almost there now but corded will.always have its place its safe reliable and most important has longevity.. you cut the cord oh well find a male end and bam your fixed but once a battery goes well thats 100 plus dollars for a new one

you bring up a good point and i agree with you. but i think milwaukee made this tool not to give to a bricklayer or a demo crew who are chipping all damn day long but to someone who maybe just needs it for a little bit of time. for myself it would be great, last week i had to drill 4 holes in brick up a 15 ft ladder, i had to go grab my corded hammer drill get a cord and find a plug but with this it would be so much easier.  but shit man maybe i'm wrong and its intended for a guy who is gunna use it all day long.

i have no doubt in the futur cordless will be the more popular option it is almost there now but corded will.always have its place its safe reliable and most important has longevity.. you cut the cord oh well find a male end and bam your fixed but once a battery goes well thats 100 plus dollars for a new one

let me know where you find free extension cords. They are pretty much a consumable like batteries are, they get beat to shit on commercial sites, grow legs, etc. and quality 100'+ ones aren't cheap.

you bring up a good point and i agree with you. but i think milwaukee made this tool not to give to a bricklayer or a demo crew who are chipping all damn day long but to someone who maybe just needs it for a little bit of time. for myself it would be great, last week i had to drill 4 holes in brick up a 15 ft ladder, i had to go grab my corded hammer drill get a cord and find a plug but with this it would be so much easier. but shit man maybe i'm wrong and its intended for a guy who is gunna use it all day long.

i see your point and yess a cordless sds would work great for that situation hahah i think.its a.big toss up... it hasnt been released yet so really truly no one can say how good or bad it will be im just going from what the girl said "20 min run time" something about that didnt sit right with me but i geuss if your only chippin a little bit or drilling 4 holes it wont matter unless those are some big ass holes with a hole saw then you might have to climb up and down that 15 ft ladder a few times haha

• Like 1

let me know where you find free extension cords. They are pretty much a consumable like batteries are, they get beat to shit on commercial sites, grow legs, etc. and quality 100'+ ones aren't cheap.

Just look.in the garbage pills but i wasnt really referring to extention cords i was more talking about the cords attached to the tool its self but works both ways if you cut the cord and your like me i keep extra peices of cord i find just attach them and fix it or even still you cut your cord/ extention cord its an easy fix and an extention cord is cheaper then a battety

i see your point and yess a cordless sds would work great for that situation hahah i think.its a.big toss up... it hasnt been released yet so really truly no one can say how good or bad it will be im just going from what the girl said "20 min run time" something about that didnt sit right with me but i geuss if your only chippin a little bit or drilling 4 holes it wont matter unless those are some big ass holes with a hole saw then you might have to climb up and down that 15 ft ladder a few times haha

ya honestly its gonna be more money than a corded sds so i would always buy the corded, i am thinking about buying a cordless m12 sds in the future. cuz its small and good for short time use or quick use.... the more i think about it ya 20 minutes of chipping on a 9.0 would suck balls if you had to chip out a tile floor or something like that.

Just look.in the garbage pills but i wasnt really referring to extention cords i was more talking about the cords attached to the tool its self but works both ways if you cut the cord and your like me i keep extra peices of cord i find just attach them and fix it or even still you cut your cord/ extention cord its an easy fix and an extention cord is cheaper then a battety

I know what you were referring to, I'm just commenting on what corded users frequently leave out; that cords are a corded tool's battery, and when you're looking at a quality 12 gauge extension cord you're probably in battery territory price wise. It's easy to be a cowboy in residential, ie, resourceful and fix your own stuff, but it doesnt necessarily fly in commercial and industrial.
  • Like 2

I know what you were referring to, I'm just commenting on what corded users frequently leave out; that cords are a corded tool's battery, and when you're looking at a quality 12 gauge extension cord you're probably in battery territory price wise. It's easy to be a cowboy in residential, ie, resourceful and fix your own stuff, but it doesnt necessarily fly in commercial and industrial.

Very good point and ya i am in residential and not industrial so i cant comment really on that side of the tracks but i hear your point and its true... but for me i woukd really have to get my hands on the tool and use it for a day to really see how i feel

ya honestly its gonna be more money than a corded sds so i would always buy the corded, i am thinking about buying a cordless m12 sds in the future. cuz its small and good for short time use or quick use.... the more i think about it ya 20 minutes of chipping on a 9.0 would suck balls if you had to chip out a tile floor or something like that.

It would suck right!!! even to demo a old brick wall in a house what ever it is you are using the chipping feature for i feel most will be unhappy with having to switch out the battery every 20 mins but at the end of the day i really would have to get my hands on it for a day of hard use to see how i really feel but at the momment the idea of it isnt exciting me but like dwain said this is just the first stage im sure in like 5 to 10 years there really will be a battery you charge up all night so when you get to work the next day you just slap it in and can go all day off 1 charge buy untill then certain powertools i will be skeptical about being cordless