Help with making a purchase - Milwaukee Drill/Driver/Impact Combos

nutsnbolts

Out of curiosity. Currently HD has a promotion for the following:

$169 - Combo non brushless 12v Driver/Drill and Impact Driver - You get +1 Tool of your choice for Free. (non brushless 12v)

$179 - Combo Brushless 12v Driver/Drill OR Impact Driver - You get +1 Tool of your choice non brushless 12v.

Should I go with 3 tools for $169 or two tool (1 brushless and 1 non-brushless) for $179.

Otherwise, for $269 both brushless model (drill/driver and impact).

What do you think is the best deal to get? I know the brushless is the way to go but is it worth saving up and just getting two tools?

So the 3 tools doesn't entice anyone? :) Especially with the cost.

Nope. The "cost" of 169 is actually not that great a deal. the drill and impact combo is routinely available for 99 if you're on the lookout for it, and last year that 99 bucks got you 3 batteries instead of the usual 2, and 1 of them was the XC. not sure what 3rd tool options are included in the deal you're referring to, but the price difference of 70 between this deal and the one i usually see would easily buy you one of the more common bare m12 tools. unless you need any of these tools asap, i'd suggest waiting for the holiday sales since milwaukee and home depot usually partner to put out some really good priced (albeit entry-level) kits.

my point is pointless if you decide to go brushless, though. personally i don't have experience with the brushless line so i cant comment, but the brushed models have been great to me for 3+ years now. they can tackle most of the around the house jobs i have.

If I were you I would hold off a bit more I have a feeling there are going to be some better deals coming up because of the gen 2 fuel product now hitting the shelves.....I realize that is in the M18 line but sales are sales......if you need or want these tools for more than just ...hey look at my new red tools I would go brushless......don't get me wrong the brushed versions are no slugs but there is better out there....

Milwaukee line has got everyone covered

1 gen 2 fuel m18 best

2 fuel m18 better

3 compact brushless m18 good

4 fuel m12 best

5 regular m12 good

so needs/budget/wants or is it wants/needs/budget.....

You all made good points. I honesty don't know what is cost effective hence posting this.  ;-)

It's funny reading the replies because before the brushless models, weren't the brushed model really good tools? I know now there are bigger and better things but as somoene stated the brushed models were no slugs.

I was just wondering whether the brushed models with 3 tools were a good deal because before brushless, getting 3 tools sounded like a good deal.

For the poster that asked about what the 3rd tool would be, it's essentially your choice, another 12v non brushless tool (right angle drill, battery, radio, light, etc. etc.)

Another question, 12v vs 18v, it seems like everyone says to go with 18v, 12v not enough. I'm not a contractor or anything but I rather purchase something outright so I'm covered for years to come...without breaking the bank.

You all made good points. I honesty don't know what is cost effective hence posting this.  ;-)

It's funny reading the replies because before the brushless models, weren't the brushed model really good tools? I know now there are bigger and better things but as somoene stated the brushed models were no slugs.

I was just wondering whether the brushed models with 3 tools were a good deal because before brushless, getting 3 tools sounded like a good deal.

For the poster that asked about what the 3rd tool would be, it's essentially your choice, another 12v non brushless tool (right angle drill, battery, radio, light, etc. etc.)

Another question, 12v vs 18v, it seems like everyone says to go with 18v, 12v not enough. I'm not a contractor or anything but I rather purchase something outright so I'm covered for years to come...without breaking the bank.

you are absolutely right, the brushed versions were good tools but since they advanced to brushless they became better, if you are not a contractor and for your money get the most tools you can for your money. just because the brushless tools came out doesn't mean the brushed one are no good.....in all honesty there was one factor left out by you, all replies were based not knowing what you needed them for or what you would be doing with them. 

you are absolutely right, the brushed versions were good tools but since they advanced to brushless they became better, if you are not a contractor and for your money get the most tools you can for your money. just because the brushless tools came out doesn't mean the brushed one are no good.....in all honesty there was one factor left out by you, all replies were based not knowing what you needed them for or what you would be doing with them. 

Good point...my use for it is not necessary daily use. But I have the mindset to purchase something the will last me forever. Unfortunately, this is not my trade and I wouldn't be beating it up as much as most people will probably do but I don't want to be in a situation that I couldn't do something because I decided to purchase a brushed model. (as an example).

In the end, I don't mind to spend more if experts like all of you tell me that I should go brushless and don't look back. :)

you also have to consider the shelf life of these tools, I have the fuel versions of the M12 and M18 drill, impact. circular saw, grinder ect ect the way things are made these day they don't last forever any more, you will never hear someone say ....had that drill for 37 years and the batteries are like new.........besides as time goes by and see wait what do you mean the new drill also makes coffee?....you will want one of those.....just kidding but you see my point.....I woyld suggest go big or go home if you were going to be going crazy everyday with these tools and they make some kind of return  because we all know time is money unless your not in a hurry....

Good point...my use for it is not necessary daily use. But I have the mindset to purchase something the will last me forever. Unfortunately, this is not my trade and I wouldn't be beating it up as much as most people will probably do but I don't want to be in a situation that I couldn't do something because I decided to purchase a brushed model. (as an example).

In the end, I don't mind to spend more if experts like all of you tell me that I should go brushless and don't look back. :)

like you, i'm an occasional use guy. i like to think i'm handier than the average guy, but by no means am i using my tools daily, sometimes not even weekly. i love more power, better features, longer runtime, and everything else the newer versions of tools bring to the table, whether brushed or brushless, but the reality is that even the entry level m12 offerings would compete quite well with many of the entry level 18v drills that came out only a few years ago. of course they can't come close to competing with current 18v lineups or the m12 fuel versions, but they're not supposed to. there's always going to be something better, but the trick is finding the right balance that puts the best tool FOR YOU in your garage. i have the m18 line, too, but i rarely reach for them because the m12 has just never let me down. it's not that common, at least for me, to need that much torque for my around-the-house jobs. regardless of what you choose, i don't think you're going to be disappointed with any of the current milwaukee tools.

like you, i'm an occasional use guy. i like to think i'm handier than the average guy, but by no means am i using my tools daily, sometimes not even weekly. i love more power, better features, longer runtime, and everything else the newer versions of tools bring to the table, whether brushed or brushless, but the reality is that even the entry level m12 offerings would compete quite well with many of the entry level 18v drills that came out only a few years ago. of course they can't come close to competing with current 18v lineups or the m12 fuel versions, but they're not supposed to. there's always going to be something better, but the trick is finding the right balance that puts the best tool FOR YOU in your garage. i have the m18 line, too, but i rarely reach for them because the m12 has just never let me down. it's not that common, at least for me, to need that much torque for my around-the-house jobs. regardless of what you choose, i don't think you're going to be disappointed with any of the current milwaukee tools.

Yeah that's a good point. 12v versus 18v, I don't think I can swallow an 18v version right now especially since I want both the impact and the drill/driver. Nevermind the fact that I don't think I will be doing anything that will require that much power. I know better more than never but from all the responses I have read, 12v seems to be more power than is required for most of the jobs.  Stupid question though that I will throw out there. 12v versus 18v, what type of jobs/example can someone show to reflect where an 18v would do or not do.

I know things don't last as long anymore but I believe in quality tools and you get what you pay for...for the most part.