Roll Back Sunday....Way Back...1849 Wood Plane

comp56

let's look at what a plane looked like in mid 1800's...this particular one was made by David Malloch of Dundee Scotland around 1849 at this time he took over an existing plane manufacturing company

can you imagine how much wood this has seen. still almost new condition David was under apprenticeship from John Stewart of Edinburgh he continued to make planes until the company was purchased by Alex Mathieson in 1913....

this type of plane is known as a plow...

1_13.jpg

2_14.jpg

3_11.jpg

6_4.jpg

5_5.jpg

Could you imagine what the guys that used that thing brand new would think if they saw the tools we have now!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I think many of the old timers with thier old time tools would give us 21st century wood workers a run for our money.....not that our generation of wood workers with state of the art tools are not any good.....its just these old timers really set the path for us to follow, just look at some of the wood works from the past, quite amazing IMO.

I think many of the old timers with thier old time tools would give us 21st century wood workers a run for our money.....not that our generation of wood workers with state of the art tools are not any good.....its just these old timers really set the path for us to follow, just look at some of the wood works from the past, quite amazing IMO.

Most definitely. Everytime I go out to a covered bridge rehab project it blows my mind the work these guys were able to do. Then when you consider the tools and equipment they had available it's even more impressive.

Most definitely. Everytime I go out to a covered bridge rehab project it blows my mind the work these guys were able to do. Then when you consider the tools and equipment they had available it's even more impressive.

Yep, truely remarkable for sure.....not only wood work but masonary work, metal work, etc, its just mind boggling the creations that came about in that era.

I have to somewhat agree, however some may look at these old tools and think damn.
at my age I was luckily enough to see many of these tools being used first hand. My father was an avid wood worker and his tool collection didn't have many power tools. sure they had the basics but the fine work was done pretty much by hand. My father owned a construction company and when he wasn't at work he was in his workshop, this is where he taught me many things many people take for granted today. I can not say it was all fun and games but now that I'm older the stuff he showed me and taught me is priceless, you can't get that off of a youtube video no matter how many times you watch it. My point is as much as some of these tools are pure labor they are not that hard to use, problem is everyone wants things done with a flick of a switch. Don't get me wrong I do too, I just know a little of both worlds....

I have to somewhat agree, however some may look at these old tools and think damn.

at my age I was luckily enough to see many of these tools being used first hand. My father was an avid wood worker and his tool collection didn't have many power tools. sure they had the basics but the fine work was done pretty much by hand. My father owned a construction company and when he wasn't at work he was in his workshop, this is where he taught me many things many people take for granted today. I can not say it was all fun and games but now that I'm older the stuff he showed me and taught me is priceless, you can't get that off of a youtube video no matter how many times you watch it. My point is as much as some of these tools are pure labor they are not that hard to use, problem is everyone wants things done with a flick of a switch.  

Well said.....maybe the newer generation takes the craft what ever it is more for granted these days because of the state of the art tools and could be were letting the tool lead the way instead of us the operator of the tool lead the way. Oh and you hit the nail on the head with wanting things done with a flick of a switch, guilty here many times myself....

ya I have to laugh some times with my some of my buddies, they think I'm nuts to have the tools I have and do what I do.......I keep telling them if I wanted to collect empty beer bottles that I drank after the first bottle they all look the same......I don't drink nor do I have any problem with anyone that does but when they call me nuts because I have a passion I tell them I have spent less money on my hobby then they have on theirs.......