Pub

wayneburgess

Even though I live in Illinois, the Bankrupt state ( I think we might be changing our license plates to that motto soon), I associate myself more with the south in terms of values etc. However, I can't stand sweet tea. I drink tea all the time, but unsweetened tea. Not a huge fan of hot tea except in the winter when I am sick and have a man cold

Nothing like a cold glass of tea in the summer. Besides water, tea is the only thing that really quenches my thirst. Well, Ok beer does also. Someone told me that sweet tea in the south is so much different then sweet tea in the north, so next time I am in the south, I am going to give it a try.

Wayne, what about you. Isn't tea big by you also?

Iced tea is not as common a drink in the north as it is in the south, often when you go to a restaurant, unless it is a decent one, your NOT going to get fresh tea. tea looses its flavor pretty quickly. Some less than reputable places will even give you instant tea. Down here if Florida they drink so much iced tea they have brewers like a much larger version of the common coffee maker which I don't believe I've ever seen anywhere but the south. I would bet that these machines contribute a lot to the reputation of tea in the south.

TB3.jpg

Beware of "southern" values there are both good and bad, bigotry and racism are a lot more common down here in the south.

I can't believe you would let a discussion on food go by without mentioning some of Chicago’s most famous foods. Like deep dish pizza, and the Chicago hot dog. which is one of the big three of hot dog styles, and not a peep about horseshoe sandwiches either..

"Beware of "southern" values there are both good and bad, bigotry and racism are a lot more common down here in the south."

I'd be willing to agree with that but it's a lot more true in the deep south than it is here. It's like anywhere else. Every bigger town I've ever been in had neighborhoods that white people were warned not to go. I've never felt as out of place being white as I do when I go to Atlanta.

LOL, I could go for some pizza also, well a dog does sound good. Guess I am going with both.

Your right about the instant tea. That's what we have a lot here and it sucks. If you want a good cup of tea, you have to visit a McDonald's, yes a McDonald's. Not that it is great, but everything else just sucks.

"If you want a good cup of tea, you have to visit a McDonald's, yes a McDonald's. Not that it is great, but everything else just sucks."

This is possibly the first time in history that McDonald's has been touted as producing the finest quality product in town. lol.

Yea, over here they make things healthier by just giving you less of it for the same price. They claim it's healthy, they make more money, and you walk away still hungry. I guess bullshit is bullshit no matter where you go.

I've really come to enjoy this forum. I never participated much in forums before because they were typically littered with either A: College kids who have no concept of adult responsibility. B: People who very existence revolves around some fictional fantasy concept created by a movie, TV show, or book series, or C: Genusis by their own proclamation who will never concede that they are neither wrong and complete douchebags anyway. It's nice to have a place to congregate with normal, down to earth, working class people, of different backgrounds.

• Like 1

I must admit Macdonalds is a joke lol

Over here where I live we are big on fish and chips, and one portion of our chips which are like giant fries is about a pound in weight compared to Macdonalds where you can just about fill the breast pocket on a suit jacket. :D

I have always loved internet communities, ever since the first BBSs I have always found some people passionate about the same things I was. Something that is sometimes hard to do IRL. There are some awesome forums and blogs out there that have great knowledge bases. I must admit though that some of them have caused me to become pretty thick skinned, especially when it comes to politics. I would much rather waste an evening on the forums than stuck in front of a television, especially these days with the lack of any really good programming.