Sliding miter saw 709 or 779

Shuutr

The 709 is designed as a budget level 12" SCMS.  It has a lower cross cut capacity(12x16 for the 780, 12x14 for the 709), lower crown capacity (7 1/2 vs 5 1/2), no XPS lighting, and is 16 lbs lighter (more aluminum / plastic in the construction).  The deck is smaller on the 709 as well.

I don't think that the 709 is a bad saw at all, but you have to remember what it's good at.  All 12" SCMS are not equal.  The lower priced models (i.e. the 709) are not going to be as good at cutting big stock as the higher end models.  If you can live with cutting 2x10s and 5 1/2" of crown clearance, the 709 looks to be a very nice saw, just don't expect it to beat out or really even have the same features / capacity as the 780.  I think a lot of the bad reviews are more related to unrealistic expectations than a bad product.

All that having been said, the 779 seems to be new - I've never seen that one before but the specs seem to make it look like the 780 without the XPS system.  I couldn't find any reviews so if that's important, you may want to hold off on that one.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...