DIY Oil Change - 2011 VW Polo 1.6 TDI

alexaescht

I know this won't apply to many of you as this car and the engine in it won't be found in the US, but nonetheless I know some of you will be interested anyway lol.

So a few weeks ago I did an oil change service on the Polo, and thought I’d throw together a video showing how I did it. I finally got around to editing and uploading it last night, and am sharing it with you here in case it is of any use to anyone. The video is not ridiculously in-depth, in that I don’t stand in front of the camera for hours telling you what to do — I just point the camera in the right places and show you every step in the service — and the video runs for under 10 minutes.

The whole job takes about 30 minutes, with the most annoying part being removing and re-installing the lower engine cover. Everything else is really very simple and easy to do.

Parts Used*

-Febi Bilstein Oil Drain Plug with Seal A$5.12

-Wix-Filtron WL7476 Oil Filter A$9.05

-Liqui-Moly Mos2 Additive (Optional) A$17.69

-Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5W-30 (VW 504.00/507.00) A$78.88

Total Parts Cost: A$110.74

*all prices are from micksgarage.com except the oil and Mos2 (both from SuperCheap Auto)

• Like 3

One time my brother (probably 17 years old and mechanically clueless) changed the oil in dads f-150. Except he didn't know what he was doing and pulled the plug on the front differential instead of the oil pan! Then he proceeded to fill the engine up with the number of quarts it called for and it got driven like that for 2 weeks! I forget how we found out about it, but amazingly, no permanent damage was done, and he later bought the truck and still running today (this was probably 10 years ago when he did that)

Also that's an astronomical price for oil change.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One time my brother (probably 17 years old and mechanically clueless) changed the oil in dads f-150. Except he didn't know what he was doing and pulled the plug on the front differential instead of the oil pan! Then he proceeded to fill the engine up with the number of quarts it called for and it got driven like that for 2 weeks! I forget how we found out about it, but amazingly, no permanent damage was done, and he later bought the truck and still running today (this was probably 10 years ago when he did that)

Also that's an astronomical price for oil change.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Oh wow. That's story is a bit of a worry! How did he manage to confuse the oil sump with a front diff? That's amazing no damage was done, thankfully.

The price is high for a couple of reasons:

With diesel cars fitted with DPFs (diesel particulate filters) they require low SAPS oil to reduce ash build-up in the DPF. Also, VW stipulates their own oil approval rating (VW 504.00/507.00) which is of course more expensive than your everyday basic full-synthetic oil. And you can't use conventional (mineral) oil in these things.

Oh, and 'because Australia' where everything is more expensive for absolutely no reason. Sigh.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...