Some Pittsburgh carnage for you guys

Stercorarius

So this one happened to a 1/2" to 3/8" inch impact grade Pittsburgh adapter while torqued down some 6.0 liter powerstroke heads at midnight. I was at about 200 ft/lbs when the torque wrench lost all resistance. To be honest I was super relieved when I found out what broke. My mind immediately went to worse case scenario of a broken $300 proto torque wrench or something on the motor. Not going to lose any sleep over a 50¢ adaptor that I really shouldn't have been using in the first place.

d2a06f1919e4ce1ca38450c6ea510344.jpg

1f6fd863b88d99d8c2c26b8e3c5381c7.jpg

Second piece of carnage happened in the summer. Sheared the drive off of a breaker bar. I love the Pittsburgh breaker bars because they work well. I can't fault this one for shearing. It had a 1/2" to 3/4" drive adaptor on the end that was put in a socket that was cut up to fit on a seized shit pump impeller and had a 12' cheater pipe on the end. It held up to a couple hours of abuse like that before finally giving in. I think a skidsteer may have been involved....

f34ed0bfbbeab1340a24f2313d2b25fb.jpg

d4cca3580e6ac12142131883e4645506.jpg

That's the good thing about those, it's not a big deal if they break. Seems like you were pushing the limits to where most tools would have failed...Not to say that there's not a lot of Pittsburgh stuff that has steel that is softer than cheese. I swear some of their metal is a gouda/iron alloy.

• Like 1

That's the trade off with harbor freight tools its nice that they are cheap if you need something quick you want use alot or on a budget but they tend to break right at the worst time to break, at least they have a lifetime warrenty

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Jimbo

That's the trade off with harbor freight tools its nice that they are cheap if you need something quick you want use alot or on a budget but they tend to break right at the worst time to break, at least they have a lifetime warrenty

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Jimbo

Yeah. Breaker bar was definitely my fault and they said they'd replace it no questions asked.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are banging on Harbor Freight, but both cases were clearly misuse bordering on abuse. 200ft/lbs and a 3/8" drive tool? There's a reason why you will never see a 3/8" drive torque wrench with a working range that high. That's why they make 1/2" drive sockets. A skidsteer? Yikes!

I understand that ya gotta use what tools you have available, and the kid makes it clear he knew he caused the failures.

We sell a bunch of different types of breaker bars, and it's one of the things I see the most in the DIF containers. Seems like at least once a day one comes back with the lug busted off, or the sides cracked off. Most of the time it's probably due to someone using a pipe with the breaker bar and putting too much force on. You have to use the right size for the job, don't force a breaker bar that's too small. It's called a breaker bar, but even they have their limits. Adapters are no exception, you can break a step-down adapter easily, because you're using a larger wrench with a smaller lug. I've seen it happen enough to know not to do it myself.

I agree with you guys completely. Both errors were on my side and I'm fine with that because I lost like $10. I know I abuse HF tools and that's why I buy 4 HF breaker bars at a time and don't bother replacing under warranty because they really are a lot higher quality than you give them credit for. I don't regret having a HF bar over say a sunex. I own many Pittsburgh tools and many I'm really impressed with, a few I'm not, but they make hand tools that are acceptable. The entire, and I mean the entire shop that my company has for servicing equipment uses almost exclusively HF items. All pnuematic are central (about 20+ impact guns) and all the hand tools, with a few exceptions (which are still maybe husky brand quality) are Pittsburgh's. And this shop runs 2+ workers 12hrs a day 6 days a week. I'll eventually cover the ones that really blow me away in my tool thread. I've only actually broken the one breaker bar and there was easily 2000+ ft/lbs on the socket which was starting to crack itself. The piece we were trying to take off eventually required cutting in 3 places, two custom spanners with 14' long handles, three pipe wrenches, a sledgehammer, and two skidsteers all used simultaneously.