Marking your tools

george frontino

Just to reiterate what Rich said, a few years ago here, I had a post going on this. It applies to everything you own really including heavy equipment.....

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/1376-stolen-equipment/?hl=stolen

I don't lend out any of my nice tools but I don't work professionally in the trades so don't have the same problems some guys here might have but the post should help guide some of you. As far as friends and family goes, I love my brothers and my next one in line is one of my best friends but he doesn't get to use my tools. He's a pro plumber and I've lent him a tool for literally five minutes and it comes back wrecked. Therefore when we do a project he uses his tools. I use his tools and mine. I'm anal about my tools and marking them has not had to happen but I keep an online inventory with the manufacturers every time I get a new tool. It helps for warranty and insurance.

That's always good info to know.

I'm anal about my tools and marking them has not had to happen but I keep an online inventory with the manufacturers every time I get a new tool. It helps for warranty and insurance.

I am the same way, but in my situation me ladies sister's husband helps us out with our vehicles, and major stuff around the house, he does have a huge selection of mechanics tools, but no woodworking stuff.  It always causes a big whirlwind, when I tell him no way he is going to borrow my tools, because he is a Neanderthal on tools. After all, we do pay him for any work he does for us, and yet I never charge for my monthly computer repair services. Moral of the story, I am also anal about my tools, I always wipe the down after every use, so they always look brand new.  Also, I do keep a complete inventory with pictures, and serial numbers of not only all my tools, but every piece of electronics.