Marking your tools

george frontino

When I worked in a shop with a bunch of others I marked my tools but in the most secret way I could so if they took them they didn't know where or how so they could remove it or tamper with the marking. i know my dad did it differently by laying 10 or 12 brand new grinders/cirular saws hammers or what ever he bought for his company and sprayed green spray paint across them. I remember doing this once with brand new tools as a kid for him.....

• Like 1

I may need to rethink my tool marking strategy. I like your method.

Most work I do alone or with close buddies or a family member so I know where to find them if my tool doesn't make it home, but we have respect for our own things, I was taught that from a very young age, especially if you borrow something bring it back in better condition!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Most work I do alone or with close buddies or a family member so I know where to find them if my tool doesn't make it home, but we have respect for our own things, I was taught that from a very young age, especially if you borrow something bring it back in better condition!

Jimbo

My main concern is my dad trying to take my cool new tools but i know where he sleeps. I just need to listen down the hallway for a bear and a chainsaw. (He snores)

A happy life is one that involves tools as often as possible

www.frontinoconstruction.com

• Like 1

Jimbo

I mark mine either for dishonest mix ups ( so I can prove that those tools that the guy pulled out of my car an put in his truck are mine) or mostly for honest mistakes. Like if me and my coworker leave our Swanson speed squares on the same table I know to grab the one with my name on it.
  • Like 1

record all your serial numbers. people can have the same initials so it is added security. also helps with stolen an pawned tools. pawn stores give records to police weekly with serial numbers of things pawned weekly.

This is possibly the most important advice. Learned the hard way that cops won't do anything if you don't have documentation for your tools. Keep a digital and hard copy of all your receipts and serial numbers.

This is possibly the most important advice. Learned the hard way that cops won't do anything if you don't have documentation for your tools. Keep a digital and hard copy of all your receipts and serial numbers.

registering your tools helps as well. sure people can record a serial number but the manufacturer will have it dated as well. 

Just to reiterate what Rich said, a few years ago here, I had a post going on this. It applies to everything you own really including heavy equipment.....

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/1376-stolen-equipment/?hl=stolen

I don't lend out any of my nice tools but I don't work professionally in the trades so don't have the same problems some guys here might have but the post should help guide some of you. As far as friends and family goes, I love my brothers and my next one in line is one of my best friends but he doesn't get to use my tools. He's a pro plumber and I've lent him a tool for literally five minutes and it comes back wrecked. Therefore when we do a project he uses his tools. I use his tools and mine. I'm anal about my tools and marking them has not had to happen but I keep an online inventory with the manufacturers every time I get a new tool. It helps for warranty and insurance.

• Like 4