Calling all plumbers!

JimboS1ice

At work today I was at a different store and noticed some different looking fittings and valves on the water line for the hose. Just a hot water supply line used for cleaning but I'm not exactly sure what's on it between the valve and the wall. From what it looks like they increase the pressure?

8c74ac775dcb385d12d29972e9c19a71.jpg

1587b666538af98504a63b2156621687.jpg

8ab6aa6f289701acc0cb7302996ad3b2.jpg

6ad017674b120138fb070acfc56a7ab8.jpg

Here's the top view

3ae8ca1d7beac47b3ed4f56c3d2b3401.jpg

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's basically a fancy check valve so if the city side of the line loses pressure, there isn't a chance that it can become contaminated with water from the service side, in the rare circumstance that it might happen. It also has a separate swing check valve probably to prevent water hammer, that can happen sometime too. Though I'm not sure why it's on the hot line like that.. weird

That one that I thought might be a swing check could be a strainer, not sure

1 minute ago, KnarlyCarl said:

That's basically a fancy check valve so if the city side of the line loses pressure, there isn't a chance that it can become contaminated with water from the service side, in the rare circumstance that it might happen. It also has a separate swing check valve probably to prevent water hammer, that can happen sometime too. Though I'm not sure why it's on the hot line like that.. weird

City of chicago store, they all seem to have them, just stopped to take a picture today because I thought about it. It is a hot water line only used to clean the meat cutting room.

That's an RPZ,,, Reduced Pressure Backflow Preventer..with a Y strainer in front of it to protect the moving parts from debris in the water. like Carl said its a fancy check valve.. They are used/tested a lot in NYC..but I mostly see them on cold water

You're to fast for me Carl..lol Good to know your on top of these questions, maybe I can answer the next one before you :) That is forsure a strainer on the line, I like that they used propress fittings don't see that to much here. The bad thing I see hear is there not using proper pipe supports, zip ties are forsure not code approved.lol 

• Like 1

Yeah Justin, ha zip ties on that is just cheap and unprofessional!  

Mikey, thought this was just a dual check, not a reduced principle backflow preventer? I'm working on figuring out the differences yet, because RPZ have the intermediate relief, but this does not, just getting that straight

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yeah Justin, ha zip ties on that is just cheap and unprofessional!  

Mikey, thought this was just a dual check, not a reduced principle backflow preventer? I'm working on figuring out the differences yet, because RPZ have the intermediate relief, but this does not, just getting that straight

Carl, your right, sometimes they look a lot alike. Found this comparison on a Google search

• What is the difference between a double check valve backflow preventer and a reduced pressure zone backflow preventer (RPZ)? Where is one used versus the other?
    View answer
    • Double check valve backflow preventers contain two independent check valves in one housing. Test cocks are located at strategic points so that the check valves can be tested with a backflow preventer test kit. Double check valves are used for non-health hazard cross connections in continuous pressure applications.
      RPZ backflow preventers include two check valves like a double check backflow preventer, but they also have an intermediate relief valve that opens to atmosphere if both check valves should fail. Because of this extra measure of protection RPZ backflow preventers are used in cross connections subject to backpressure or back siphonage where there is a potential health hazard in continuous pressure applications.
  • Like 2

Interesting guys!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well then, here's some more! I just put these in today, waiting on the two other strainers and the city to put in the water meters.

5df69aa69d06b9ad48ff77829a408db9.jpg

Notice the lack of zip ties?

These are the reduced pressure backflow preventers, on the bottom, they have the intermediate vent, another layer of protection in case debris gets in their and allows water to flow backwards, that will dump it out the bottom instead.

0b683e9e6ebe8e6b660dc32f5f600191.jpg

7c57003c9002a19a0ba3aa380b68d51b.jpg

Here's what the propress and copper looks like new shiny!

88f3453cb1354813adbdaff01af7a3f8.jpg

Awesome stuff, this is the larger press tool of the two we have.

4f9c286e9202a62c7857a519cc7dc03e.jpg

a3593fc5030665fc1f7dd3ed46922016.jpg

The section between my pipe wrenches are just blanks so we know how far apart to install the fittings on either side, then the city will come and put the water meters in their places.

976cd9fb69e70afdb55e1731004c4862.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Nice job Carl!! Is that a 2inch main?? Nice propress work, are you using blue monster thread tape?? Your not required to put tape on the copper to separate from the strut pipe clamps?? Sorry for the 20 questions..lol No zip ties thats sad :/

Yes 2", yes blue monster tape, but I always put tape and dope on water pipe threads. Actually did cross my mind to put tape around the copper where the clamps hold it, but nobody "requires" it, I'll see when I can get back there and will just have to do that.

8 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes 2", yes blue monster tape, but I always put tape and dope on water pipe threads. Actually did cross my mind to put tape around the copper where the clamps hold it, but nobody "requires" it, I'll see when I can get back there and will just have to do that.

I always use dope and tape on copper and brass, it will leak if you don't. Experienced plumbers know you have to use both. We use pipe wrap tape that's 10 mils thick, I really don't know if its code here but everyone uses it and so do I. If copper is touching metal or concrete it gets taped, it is a nightmare to get if off after a few years if you have to make a repair. One more question how is the strut attached to the angle steel are you using 45 degree strut brackets??

I always use dope and tape on copper and brass, it will leak if you don't. Experienced plumbers know you have to use both. We use pipe wrap tape that's 10 mils thick, I really don't know if its code here but everyone uses it and so do I. If copper is touching metal or concrete it gets taped, it is a nightmare to get if off after a few years if you have to make a repair. One more question how is the strut attached to the angle steel are you using 45 degree strut brackets??

I wish I had a nice transition between the two, but I bent the angle steel to the underside of the strut. I wish I knew what was all available for installing strut, I've seen a few pieces designed for the unistrut but nobody around here seems to have a real good selection of pieces like that. There's gotta be a ton of different strut clamps and hardware pieces, I just dont know where around here and none of our supply houses have ever advertised a large selection of them, so I never know what is even available to start asking for.

What is with the green strut? I've only used the galvanized and the yellow zinc strut. Is the green a different material, or is it just a brand thing?

It's painted, but beside that, I'm not sure it's intended purpose

• Like 1