Ryobi is going brushless? Big step for them

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I forgot where I heard that.....

Also if you're moving to Australia, watch out for drop bears

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Does no one here think ryobi really messed up with having stick batteries and not slide on ? Very dated and means all the drill and impact grips will always be on the fat side ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no, the nice thing is if you have a 20 year old drill and want a battery for it they aren't extinct. But on that same token you can't live in the past forever.

4 hours ago, Craigh9916 said:

Does no one here think ryobi really messed up with having stick batteries and not slide on ? Very dated and means all the drill and impact grips will always be on the fat side ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, not at all. I don't care what the battery looks like, what type of connection it makes, or anything like that. I do care about my old tools working with new batteries, no other company does that. I for one don't really want to keep buying new tools every 5 years when the company changes battery design...

• Like 1

Nope, not at all. I don't care what the battery looks like, what type of connection it makes, or anything like that. I do care about my old tools working with new batteries, no other company does that. I for one don't really want to keep buying new tools every 5 years when the company changes battery design...

It wasn't about the look of the battery more about the fact the grips are fat , I think you will find the new battery platforms won't change every 5 years from now on

20 minutes ago, Craigh9916 said:

It wasn't about the look of the battery more about the fact the grips are fat , I think you will find the new battery platforms won't change every 5 years from now on

I was never bothered by how large the grip area is, seems to me all of my tools have fit my hands pretty good, never paid attention.

I wouldn't want a thinner grip anyway, the Makita drills I've owned that had a skinny grip broke in half between the body and the grip...

• 2 months later...

Ryobi is often very overpriced in Australia however the mentioned kit is currently only $269 AUD. 

On the other hand a brushless Ryobi one+ hammer drill skin is $159 AUD whereas a Metabo SB 18 LTX BL brushless impulse hammer drill skin is only $160 AUD!

The only place we can buy Ryobi is Bunnings https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=ryobi&facets=BrandName%3DRyobi One%2B

• Like 1

a standard Ryobi drill and impact kit in Aus is $250, so not much less than at entry level Dewalt, Bosch or Milwaukee kit.

However, a 5 piece kit is a fair bit cheaper. AND once you're on the line, you can pick up the other skins/bare tool often much cheaper than the trade brands.

It has its place, but I don't often find myself recommending them to people.

• Like 2