GearWrench 81209 3/8 Stubby ratchet 84-tooth $15

BMack37

Ok, so question then for the peanut gallery. I picked up the same wrench.  I've got a tube of SuperLube and pair of retaining ring pliers.  Is it worth opening up to lube?  How difficult is it to get back together again?  I know it's not a major investment if things go south, but I don't like to screw things up if I know something is just over my head to fix.

This one is pretty simple... If you want tomorrow I could do a video for you, once you remove the retaining ring carefully pull the drive out, with this one you'll see the drive with the gear, there's the pawl and a gasket. Be careful when you pull the pawl out not to jar the spring in the selector or you'll have to put that together too. I wipe out all the existing lube, now I don't use the grease I like the oil but I lube the whole thing with a nice coat especially the gears and pawl. Tricky part is just fitting the gear and the pawl back together but it only fits one way of the other depending on the way the selector is. These gear wrench have a O ring that goes in as well.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically what Jimbo said but I like synthetic grease, just a dab on the gear so you have lube where the gear rubs against the head. Then i put a little grease on the pawl. Just a little, you don't need a lot. You will notice a fair difference. Some ratchets you'll see a huge difference; my Taiwan Williams that I leave at work, it was like night and day.

I use oil on some ratchets like the SK thumb ratchet that I posted.

Just remember, anything with grease or oil needs to be recleaned every few years. Oil/grease, as much as it lubricates also collects dust or debris and, given enough time, can solidify.

• Like 1

Basically what Jimbo said but I like synthetic grease, just a dab on the gear so you have lube where the gear rubs against the head. Then i put a little grease on the pawl. Just a little, you don't need a lot. You will notice a fair difference. Some ratchets you'll see a huge difference; my Taiwan Williams that I leave at work, it was like night and day.

I use oil on some ratchets like the SK thumb ratchet that I posted.

Just remember, anything with grease or oil needs to be recleaned every few years. Oil/grease, as much as it lubricates also collects dust or debris and, given enough time, can solidify.

That's what the inside of my proto facom designs were like, grease was solid.

Jimbo

18 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

That's what the inside of my proto facom designs were like, grease was solid.

Jimbo

I took apart my Friend's cheap ratchet last week and it was solid too, it's almost like glue from a glue stick. The ratchet will work but you(KhariV) can imagine replacing your glue stick "lubricant" and replacing it with fresh lubricant, it makes a big difference. Jimbo's ratchets were bought new from a distributor.

2 hours ago, khariV said:

Ok, so question then for the peanut gallery. I picked up the same wrench.  I've got a tube of SuperLube and pair of retaining ring pliers.  Is it worth opening up to lube?  How difficult is it to get back together again?  I know it's not a major investment if things go south, but I don't like to screw things up if I know something is just over my head to fix.

Honestly it's really simple to put back together. The grease will help quite it down some and it be a bit smoother too. But I will be fine if you put the super lube on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khariV said:

If you weren't the last person to use a ratchet, it's worth opening it up.  Even if you just lent it to a friend, who knows what buckets of crud he dropped it in.  He might have even hosed it down to clean it up before returning it (don't be that guy).  After a few times it doesn't take more than a few seconds to pop a ratchet open and grease it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mondo1310 said:

Honestly it's really simple to put back together. The grease will help quite it down some and it be a bit smoother too. But I will be fine if you put the super lube on it. 

It sounds like it's not because how instructions read but it is easy. Literally, all it takes to reassemble is pushing the pawl down with your thumb and inserting the gear. That's the hard part and it's literally as easy as pushing the pawl down and inserting the gear. Put the O-ring back in the groove, then put the cover on and clip it down.

Mission Accomplished!

I took it apart, wiped all of the existing oil out (there wasn't much), added some new oil around the pawl and a blob of grease under the gear and got it all back together.  Best of all, it still works and there weren't any spare parts!

One minor detail though, there was no O-ring, just the retaining ring and the plate.

Thanks again for all the advice.  I learned something new and wouldn't have done it without the crew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khariV said:

Mission Accomplished!

I took it apart, wiped all of the existing oil out (there wasn't much), added some new oil around the pawl and a blob of grease under the gear and got it all back together.  Best of all, it still works and there weren't any spare parts!

One minor detail though, there was no O-ring, just the retaining ring and the plate.

Thanks again for all the advice.  I learned something new and wouldn't have done it without the crew.

Are you sure it wasn't stuck to the plate? Mine always stick to the plate and black on black with grease wasn't easy to see. It should be pretty easy to find a replacement.

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

Are you sure it wasn't stuck to the plate? Mine always stick to the plate and black on black with grease wasn't easy to see. It should be pretty easy to find a replacement.

Absolutely certain.  I wiped down the plate back with a white shop rag, so if it was there, I would have seen it.  There was no o-ring. 

What would I need to get to replace it?  I bought from the EBay link, so no one to go back to to say it was defective / missing a part.

7 hours ago, khariV said:

Absolutely certain.  I wiped down the plate back with a white shop rag, so if it was there, I would have seen it.  There was no o-ring. 

What would I need to get to replace it?  I bought from the EBay link, so no one to go back to to say it was defective / missing a part.

You can probably find one on ebay for next to nothing. It's not terribly necessary, but it is supposed to help seal the ratchet head...some say it doesn't do a great job at that. Keep in mind that they build these with the mindset that someone is going to buy it, never open it and drop it in oil and dirt, then throw it in a box to store for the next day of dropping it in oil and dirty, etc..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    HarvM
    Newest Member
    HarvM