Klein CL800 Clamp Meter

Kato

We have Fluke at work, a 323 clamp meter and 117 standard. Both are nice...obviously, they're Fluke. I like the Klein over the Fluke clamp meter though. The Klein seems to be way better built (probably has to do with the "can be dropped from 6 feet" feature), and feels better in the hand. But, bottom line is they all do pretty much the same thing.

I like the thermocouple that came with the Klein, I have a digital psychrometer that I use for temperature and related, but it's fun playing with that feature on the Klein.

• 4 months later...

We (O'Reilly Auto) sell them, I like them. They're actually not too bad, I use them at home and up until taking my clamp meter to work, I used them at work. Every time one comes back to the returns department, they get tossed and I grab them. So far only a few have been actually "broken", the rest I distributed to the other guys in maintenance. Just as good as any meter really, they do what they're supposed to do. I've come across a few that had broken or bad connectors internally, all I do is take the broken ones out and solder in new ones. Some even came back with a battery still in them, so there's an extra bonus now and then.

They make an auto-ranging meter but I haven't seen any at the warehouse, don't know if we sell them.

• 1 year later...

Well, the Klein is about to bite the dust. Reads ohms way off, by a multiple of 3 actually. Every reading I take I can multiply by three and get the right numbers...but that's not how things are supposed to work. Also found out that it won't read capacity either. It's out of warranty of course, and I'm not going to spend at least 75 bucks to have it fixed. Damn thing doesn't cost that much more for a new one. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Probably God telling me it's time to go back to Fluke...

• Like 1

That's a shame...I'm without a doubt a Fluke DMM guy, I keep trying others and all of them have several deal breakers for me. The Klein clamp meter has been a different story, I haven't found a reason to pick the Fluke over it...if it quits that quick, that's pretty darn disappointing.

Wondering if there's a simple fix. Could be a resistor slipping out of spec. Can you select resistance and connect a DMM to the leads to get the test voltage for me? Maybe there's a resistor out of spec causing the voltage(used to test) to rise or fall and knocking it out of spec. That's just my first thought, I'll try to do some research next week.

I'm assuming you've already tried using new test leads.

I tried several sets of leads, even the set that's in the Fluke kit at work. Same results with all leads. It's at work, didn't bring it home, so I can't do any testing until Monday. But, I took a look inside yesterday and didn't see any obvious issues, like cold solder joints or any popped circuits or components.

I am not a fan of the Klein Clamp. In the last year I have seen 3 guys replace them. They just don’t seem to be reliable or accurate. I had one for a week and returned to HD. It would never zero and it was always out by 4-6 volts at 120VAC.

I use a Fluke and Greenlee for my daily needs.
I have yet to find another brand that is as solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was always accurate, always gave the same readings as the Fluke and other meters I use. AC/DC voltage and AC/DC current readings were always on point. Continuity always worked perfectly, so did temp and other features. It's only recently that I realized that it wasn't reading ohms correctly, and that it wouldn't read capacitance at all. I used it several times on capacitors for our split units over the summer, and it worked fine back then.

Probably a component that was going bad over time and finally decided to crap out...after the warranty ran out of course...

My CL700 is dead on in the spec range and matches my Fluke 324 with speed and accuracy but with additional features. The input protection is really good on the Klein too.

I think these meters are made by Uni-T so maybe we can find some repair threads, those are really popular clamp meters for the EEVB community.

On 12/2/2017 at 2:24 AM, BMack37 said:

Wondering if there's a simple fix. Could be a resistor slipping out of spec. Can you select resistance and connect a DMM to the leads to get the test voltage for me? Maybe there's a resistor out of spec causing the voltage(used to test) to rise or fall and knocking it out of spec. That's just my first thought, I'll try to do some research next week.

I'm assuming you've already tried using new test leads.

55F34CCE-1F9C-4E9D-8622-D1667193F4C8.jpeg

When I'm at work tomorrow I can. I forgot to mention that the Klein tested against itself on resistance was .001. Reading AC and DC voltage is perfect. Reading AC and DC amps is perfect. Continuity works perfect. Ohms is always off by a multiple of 3...if I multiply 3 to the value given it comes up with the right numbers. Weird. Capacitance just sits there, it'll OL (overload) if I touch the leads together, but when I put it to a capacitor it just sits there reading, reading, reading, and never gives a number. Temperature...I don't know. I held the thermo in my hand and it only went up to 68 degrees. I blew hot breath on it and it stayed the same. OF course I didn't try extremes, maybe I'll stick it in a glass of ice water and see what happens.

Frequency/Herz I can't test, never learned how and probably can't anyway. LoZ works good too. All the buttons work as they should, and so does the selector dial.

"Off" works perfectly, always did. Never had any issues with the "off" feature.

That''s really interesting, you see how far off the meter is in capacitance, it's supposed to be around -185mV and it's +27.3mV, in resistance it's not as bad but still off a little more than I'd imagine it would be, I'd guess it would be within +/- 5mV due to our DMMs and leads. 

I'll try to do some research and take a look at mine and see if I see some trimmers that might solve the problem. the capacitance range is worrying.

I'm thinking I might be able to send it in to get repaired for free...depending on how I approach it. The sticker with the date code is "1015C-A1"...the "1015" part means October of 2015. I'm thinking I'll give the guy I talked to a call and see what he thinks, regardless of what the sticker says I didn't get the meter until March of 2016. If there's a two-year warranty then it technically should be covered.

Who knows, maybe I can get it fixed, can't hurt to ask...

• Like 1