Snap On impact

Fazzman

Was going through some of my stuff this morning and found my Snappy 3/8 impact, model MG31. This thing used to be a beast when they first came out. The housing is all magnesium. I dont remember the specs offhand but recall it being pretty good.

I had the 1/2" version at one time but it got stolen,and its been replaced with cordless types.

Need to get a decent compressor in garage one of these days.

20160313_101152_zps7owcnagv.jpg

• Like 4

I want to get the new Proto/Mac stubby 1/2 impact wrench. I just need a shop and a compressor first. I would build a shop and buy a compress just to be able to use that impact wrench, not buy the impact wrench to be able to use the shop and compressor.

5e501dac9d980393088eaf77dec372b7.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, unclebud said:

These impacts are stupid expensive now. The snap-on man left some new flyers on friday. the 3/8 impacts are now over $500.

that is insane, especially with so many other options that can compare or outright be better than the snap-on for way less money.......Snap-on tag line from years ago was " There is a difference"....ya the price..lol

• Like 3

Yeah I cant even remember what I paid for it. It was about ten years ago or so when I got it.

Im sure it wasnt cheap but I was unmarried and without kids at the time. 

Dayam $500 smackers nowadays aye,id never pay that now lol. That'd get a pretty sweet miter saw setup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, comp56 said:

that is insane, especially with so many other options that can compare or outright be better than the snap-on for way less money.......Snap-on tag line from years ago was " There is a difference"....ya the price..lol

What's worse is that Snap on doesn't even make their air tools. I believe their impact wrenches are made by Chicago Pneumatic. 

13 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

What's worse is that Snap on doesn't even make their air tools. I believe their impact wrenches are made by Chicago Pneumatic. 

I know that their die grinders are made by Sioux tools. They look identical and they have both listed in their catalog. I don't know if they make their impacts too or not.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dano123 said:

My brother sells Matco and they are high priced too. I don't understand how people can afford to buy them, I guess the weekly payment plan is the big selling point?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The weekly payment is a big selling point for sure. They charge a crap ton of interest too. I'm not sure what Matcos rate is but it is %25 for snap on. It is ridiculous how much they charge. 

Matco rebrands Ingersoll Rand...well Matco rebrands everything that isn't tool boxes.

I don't think any of the truck brands make any of their power/pnuematic tools. I mean the warranty is nice and the tools are always of high quality but it seems like that's a lot for a warranty and some convenience.

10 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

I want to get the new Proto/Mac stubby 1/2 impact wrench. I just need a shop and a compressor first. I would build a shop and buy a compress just to be able to use that impact wrench, not buy the impact wrench to be able to use the shop and compressor.

5e501dac9d980393088eaf77dec372b7.jpg

We got a few new proto ones at work. They are all top notch in my book. Not sure if there rebranded but there pretty good. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Those weird composite looking impacts are making a run in the tool field lately, I wonder what makes them so special, other then style? Well, you will have to get back to me on that one. ;)

Not entirely sure why composites are doing well. Honestly I myself don't care what the tool materials are as long as they hold up. Looks are also don't matter to me. I just want a good working tool. 

I like the proto ones because of size, balance, power. It's also easy to use an can easily be controlled with gloves on. 

• Like 1

Composites are not plastics  :)        Carbon fiber which is stronger than steel(When cured) is considered a composite,there are many composites out there.  Ive worked in a composite shop for a while,machined all sorts of composite materials stuff is itchy as hell if you get it on your skin and you definately dont want to breath it.

Many aircraft are composites for a large majority of components,the point of composites is strength to weight ratio.  Composites get their strength from the entire matrix of materials not just the atoms like in metals.  Composites dont rust or anything like that either.

Sure dropping it on a concrete floor would not be good for it,but thats bad for any tool.  Composites can be repaired with epoxy  :)

Composite tools don't get cold after prolonged use. I have a composite die grinder and your hand won't get anywhere near as cold as an all steel grinder. As far as holding up to chemicals the composite part of my dads IR 2135 has held up fine after a few years of use apart from some scratches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicholasShetley said:

Composite tools don't get cold after prolonged use. I have a composite die grinder and your hand won't get anywhere near as cold as an all steel grinder. As far as holding up to chemicals the composite part of my dads IR 2135 has held up fine after a few years of use apart from some scratches.

Thats a good point too,I hate picking up a freezing feeling tool first thing in the morning.

I'm a bit of a Snap On honk, but when I get around to getting a decent compressor in my garage, the two main (3/8" and 1/2") standard impacts will be Ingersoll Rand QTi models. I may ad a Proto or two, and maybe an M7 or two, but I don't think I'll invest in much, if any, Snap On.

• Like 2