M18 Planer Review 2623 - a little dissapointing

dwain

1 hour ago, james10million said:

Good honest review guys, strange to see it struggle at only 2mm.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

2mm is fairly hard for a cordless I think. The bosch is only rated at 1.6mm, but it can do 45mm LVLs at 1.6mm easily.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeInCtown said:

Very interesting and I'm a little surprised at the title of this post given how the review raved about every single aspect of the tool except the power to go very fast at 2mm cut.

i just expect that if a manufacturer rates to 2mm, that it can do 2mm. Especially given that Milwaukee are usually very powerful tools, I also expected it to at least match the competition (which can go much harder/faster).

Power is VERY important, so I'm dissapointed. BUT in every other way, it's awesome. So it's 'a little dissapointing'.

• Like 2

I liked this review, very nicely done! But I can see where the disappointment comes in that they claim one thing but in reality it can't live up to the specs. @dwain what size of battery did you have on it? Do you think a larger battery, and even maybe the 9ah battery when it comes out could get it to power through the 2mm? 

The features on this one remind me of the old Bosch NiCad cordless planer. The left or right exhaust and positive stops in particular. They were very attractive features. The unfortunate issue with the Bosch unit, though, was that the motor in it had an engineering defect that would cause a random critical failure after minimal use, and the only fix for it was a replacement motor with the same problem. This failure was caused due to a lack of any type of mechanical fastening of the magnets used around the armature (adhesive or rivet). The magnets were just slipped into the housing and held in place by their own magnetic strength. This might have been a good idea in theory, but the action of the electric brake stopping the motor could cause the magnets to pop off of the housing and glom onto the armature with some rather eratic behaviors or instant lockup of the unit. As this also created a situation where the battery could overheat to a dangerous level, it highlighted the lack of safety cutouts in design as well, and was instrumental in my never purchasing another Bosch product from that time forward.

• Like 1