Beef Jerky Review Permathread

JimboS1ice

Y'all know know I am not a negative person right? But I have to disagree on any Jack suggestions. I am a cat that will keep my personal opinions to himself. If you like how it tastes thats cool with me, cause in the end that is all that matters.  Besides, Jerky is a personal preference, some like moist and chewy, but some folks including me, like it dry and pack it in like chewing tobacco LOL. 

-Steven

Nothing like a pinch between the gum and cheek!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

Y'all know know I am not a negative person right? But I have to disagree on any Jack suggestions. I am a cat that will keep my personal opinions to himself. If you like how it tastes thats cool with me, cause in the end that is all that matters.  Besides, Jerky is a personal preference, some like moist and chewy, but some folks including me, like it dry and pack it in like chewing tobacco LOL. 

-Steven

Love to hear your thought on jack links, negative or not! Thats the beauty of this forum and thread, what is it about Jack's you don't care for?

You are a very positive person indeed Mr. Wigwag, having been through your fair share of cloudy days, and seeing the silver lining beyond, so I believe you of all people are definitely entitled to disagree on a subject we know you are well versed in. Maybe you know something about Jack's we don't, I like getting input from different backgrounds and experiences, good or bad, so lay it on us!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First off, my favorite Jerky was King B, I grew up in Wisconsin. It's hard to explain, the area I grew up in, and the fact I am the youngest of 7 kids. With that being said, I am not good at expressing, explaining or telling a story using a keyboard.  but here is a news article, and maybe we can talk using voice, instead of words. lol

http://www.jsonline.com/business/29227269.html

• Like 1

ac5995ba145674b5eafd51ed972f2994.jpg With all of this jerky on the forum I decided to branch out with some jerky brands I've never tried before. Got this at Walmart. Pretty good really, just a good mildly moist jerky flavor. Not overly salty. The price per ounce wad cheaper than Jack Links. I like it, good stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow @WigWagWorkshop that was quite informative, and sad, even ridiculous, but such is for the love of money....

I never cared for JackLinks stuff, could never quite like it much after the first few bites, maybe just where I bought it from, but i haven't had any for years now... 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well time for updates!!

IMG_20160820_155502371_HDR

Found these at Menards, the world's kitchen brand was 1/2 off for that size, and it still is possibly. I bought these Friday.

My least favorite. Smelled like a combination of fish food and dog food, plus it tasted like it too. Also is hit or miss pulling out a good piece one time and the next is bad. The few pieces that were decent pulled apart nicely and I could chew easily, OK flavor if you plugged your nose lol... Then the next piece was wafer thin and tried to cut your mouth up when biting into it.

IMG_20160820_155626270

Next up is jack link's Matador

It's OK, I don't like the dry crumbly combination of beef and pork, but at least it didn't leave a nasty waxy aftertaste in my mouth like their regular beef jerky does. Not for me, I want strips of beef. Flavor was lackluster too

IMG_20160820_155602716

My favorite of the three, plus they had 1/2 off so I got two and I'm glad I did. Pulled apart great, just how I like it, ever so little pepper kick to it but I really like it, no tough parts, I was able to chew everything without a spot of sinew or whatever it is that I hate running into, always have to spit that out.

Delicious, but not quiteTommys!

IMG_20160820_155539625

• Like 1

Don't remember the brand but the stuff I get at the ranch and home is the best. Wanna say it comes out of Idaho or Montana. Also found a great (be it expensive) brand that I loved even more that is made in Idaho at a gas station. Wish I could remember the brands. I'll have to pick some up again. Another brand of spicy venison sticks that I can't remember that I can't get enough of even though I'm not the biggest fan of the taste. I'll do my homework and get back to you.

9 hours ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

LOL, Trails Best - the dog treats of the Jerky world, actually my brothers dog, wouldn't eat it, and that dog is like a garbage disposal. 

Yes, that is well put! I had to throw most of the bag out, pretty nasty stuff, just couldn't stomach it...

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I like really dry jerky that shreds into delicious strands. I used to have a source years ago of the perfect jerky and haven't found anything that's half as good since. 

That is the style of jerky I enjoy most also. Guess that's why I dislike 99% of store bought bag jerky, it's way too moist 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

That is the style of jerky I enjoy most also. Guess that's why I dislike 99% of store bought bag jerky, it's way too moist 

Yea, I like it nice and brittle, with a bit of heat. I settle sometimes for jack links sriracha, but as said just too much moisture for me to really love it. 

Unfortunately my 2 favorites are somewhat hard to find near me.

1) Taylor Beef Jerky, they were sold in local Shell stations for years but haven't seen them in a while.

2) Roberson Hickory smoked Jerky, they are sold at Love's Truck Stops under Love's brand, there is a Love's about 1/2 hour away and when I can I grab some but doesn't seem often enough.

https://www.robertsonshams.com/product/ROBjar.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woz said:

I get mine from the butcher shop down the street. All those store bought ones taste like dog treats. .....

Yes they do!  and the good ones around here are only certain times of the year if I can squeeze a few pieces out of them lol you have to know the right people for the good stuff ha

• Like 1

Why not right? We are plenty of beef jerky eating fellows so why not review some dried meat we endulge in and start some chatty, lots of brands out there and more and more coming.
So I'll start off with Duke's Original Recipe Smoked SHORTY Sausages
b455fbb5629bf0dcc203ec35e24335db.jpg
8e9bc4ad12d05a3fbfd41d706ef9adbb.jpg
These aren't bad, soft and tender but fairly dry. Flavor is similar to a summer sausage with the right amount of salt. Definitely worth a snack, I wouldn't eat them regularly but from time to time these are pretty tasty.
Jimbo
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do love those Dukes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro