Robots

EEtwidget

Yesterday we invited Irvine Valley College Robotics Team to present their 'Rescue Robot' IVC Robotics won 1st place last weekend @ a University level Robotics competition. 

The robot is an first responder bot that can automatically search for a victim (simulated by an orange bucket) and report back the victims location. 

This is is the 2nd year the robot program has been in existence and it gets better each go! 

In in about a month the team will compete in simulated rescue competition 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today was fun. I set up a 3D scanner. It's a cool unit. Runs about $800. Good resolution for the price.

I wanted to scan something interesting so I ran across campus and grabbed a platypus skull from my wife's lab. It turned out really cool. Imports easily into SolidWorks.

ill scan some tool related stuff soon. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I final got around to testing my biggest quadcopter. This thing is a beast, about 3 times bigger then the DJI Phantom and 10 times more dangerous. This was just a quick test in the backyard to make sure it would hover. I took it to the park and flew a bit but light was fading quickly. Still a lot more tuning to do before its ready to start 3D Mapping but that's the goal.

Forgive my messy backyard. Dogs, gophers, and drought destroyed our last two attempts at growing grass. Artificial grass is in our future Also, I don't advise testing UAV's barefoot; my wife's still out of town so I don't feel the need to shower. :) Normally I have more trees and the fence topper extended further... till the city started cutting trees down. Smashed up the topper and that metal plant rack. :( 

• Like 2

I'm lucky, I have awesome neighbors. Mostly all Veterans and tradesmen. I live on the end of a cul-de-sac, backyard surrounded by trees/hillside and a daycare. Our little piece of heaven. Wish we had more land but its not bad for California. The neighborhood kids love to troll around near my garage when I'm building. I had to keep my dogs in the house though, they attack my drones. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I ever posted this project. It's a DJI phantom quadcopter turned into a flying Jellyfish. I built it for a friend (the half naked hippy in the pic) he took it to Burningmam Africa. It looks really good in person. RGB LEDs and fiber optics.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 2

Although this isn't a robot, I decided to post anyway ? Last weekend I put in an 18-hour day building exhibits for an escaperoom. I'm waiting on final payment and pictures. This is an old 8-track I hacked. Still more work to do but it's got some pretty lights and the 8-track plays MP3 files. ? When the 'player' puts an 8-track into the slot, it trips a limit switch that triggers an audio file stored in a microSD. 

The room includes hidden trapdoors and even a chess game that when you get checkmate, a hidden door opens. 

• Like 2

Turns out I broke some props & a motor mount ?

I have a set of carbon fiber props to throw on, flying spinning death props. 

Im going to wait till after the 4th to mess with it though. I don't want a repeat of last year where I nearly cut off my noise 

Got a few more toys in today. 

Badass bench-top CNC & a mobile robotic arm. 

image.jpeg

The shipping cases the robot came in are pretty cool. Even have locks built in.image.jpeg

this thing is heavy! Lidar and a 3D vision sensor.image.jpeg

The white this is a really quite air compressor. Whisper quite.image.jpeg

i have a 4th axis for this guy too!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I kinda built a drone. I designed the plastic body. 3d printed it then installed the hardware (motherboard, motors, etc.) 4 prints later it flys. Except the motherboard likes to not stay flat. It needs a tweak I think. @EEtwidget did that ridgid box come with the power outlets or did you install them yourself. I wonder how much power you would get if you powered it with that monster energy I saw on the left?

The Ridge was a custom build. It's a solar generator. Inside is a deep cycle battery, solar charger controller, inverter, led light strips, and a few other goodies. I use it for camping and anytime on site w/o power. 

The monster is for me... and I drink entirely too many.