DCF887B 3/8 Anvil Swap - Possible?

joedr

Hi!

Has anyone tried to swap the 3/8" Anvil to a DCF887B?  I noticed another thread about the DCF886 swap and it seems that there are some mechanical differences between the two and the 608116-00SV anvil may or may not work.

Thanks in advance!

Joed

I believe it physically fits but the one thing I wonder about is the dcf887 was out before the dcf890(3/8 brushless impact) was released and for some reason dewalt decided not to put the 3/8 anvil on the dcf887 and instead did it on the dcf886.  Now was this just a way for dewalt to use up remaining parts from the dcf886 I have no idea.  If you go over to dewalts sister company mac they have a brushless impact driver model mcf886 (identical to dcf886) and a 3 speed 3/8 brushless impact wrench model mcf891.  At first glance I thought the 3 speed impact wrench was just a dcf887 with a 3/8 anvil but when you look at the specs the mcf891 has a max rpm of 2800 while the dcf887 has a max rpm of 3250.  It just makes me wonder if dewalt actually found a reason to not put the 3/8 anvil on a dcf887 or if they just chose not to.

• 3 years later...

I know this is old,  but I just took an 887 and 890 apart and thought some people might like to know that the 890 has a larger anvil needle bearing, about twice as wide. The impact drive assembly is also longer with a different spring. I noticed when I installed the 3/8 anvil on my 887, there was a lot of play side to side. I wouldn't want to use it like that. It would be wobbling like crazy and I'm sure that little bearing wouldn't hold up to the abuse of removing bolts.

You can swap the whole drive assembly from the 890 to the 887 to get a nice solid 3/8 impact with multiple speeds. This is what I ended up doing. 

The 887 becomes a three speed 890 and the 890 becomes a dcf886.