Rikon 30-100 8" Drill Press

ChrisK

Hey guys, linked to my shop blog too, introducing my first and much anticipated Rikon 8" drill press model 30-100. Piece of cake to assemble, decent quality minus one flaw and runs slick as snot!

• Like 2

No, I just literally put it together. This wasn't really a review as much of my initial thoughts on the machine. I used it some more drilling with the forstner bits and it really is smooth. Nice and steady with no runout or wobble. I'd like to actually use it on a project before I give an honest review. I bought it from Amazon through the warehouse and it did not come with instructions but I looked online and literally ten minutes of reading and assembly. The crack in the baseplate probably was why it was returned and had I had the forethought I would have taken the video for the assembly showing the damage but really seems inconsequential enough that I can't see returning it. All in all though, having zero...ZERO....experience with a drill press and lacking a laser or light, this thing is a pretty neat machine that's going to get some serious use! I don't like the fact that the upright shaft doesn't have a ratcheting riser but the work table seems pretty stable

• Like 2

I have bought from these guys before, shipping is free, their customer service is excellent t and they are commonly ahead in the price game....

http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/rikon-30-100-8-inch-bench-top-drill-press/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7LS6BRDo2Iz23au25OQBEiQAQa6hwMIU7rD4biNFNl6p5Yp1hFupw40aJM6UZio8Oguzfk8aAnic8P8HAQ

• Like 2

hey chris, now that you have one it won't take long to realize it is a very good tool to have in the shop. I have had one very similar to that one and I won't go without it.

bought at 50% off.

laser is not great very easy to bump so I never rely on it or use it for that matter so must likely your not missing much.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-drill-press-with-led-0555530p.html#srp

• Like 1

Nice little drill press. I like the Ryobi, works great for my home needs. While I do have a ton of drill press experience, there's not too much "serious" drilling I need to do at home. Most of the time the cordless drills fit my needs, but it's nice to be able to drill straight holes with no hassle, especially with speed bores, Forstner bits, etc..

You're gonna find yourself going to the press for a lot of drilling, trust me. It's one of those tools that you want but never buy, and when you end up buying it you never want to stop using it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

I have bought from these guys before, shipping is free, their customer service is excellent t and they are commonly ahead in the price game....

http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/rikon-30-100-8-inch-bench-top-drill-press/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7LS6BRDo2Iz23au25OQBEiQAQa6hwMIU7rD4biNFNl6p5Yp1hFupw40aJM6UZio8Oguzfk8aAnic8P8HAQ

About same price point as the local guys. It is on my long long long list of tools to buy. I almost bought it the other day when I was picking up a few drill bits. I have a lot of other stuff to buy before it, namely a place to put it.

• Like 1