Porter Cable Drill Press

sadfkjnbb

I've looking at possibly getting a drill press and after hunting around locally with no success I started looking into the Porter Cable floor stand model at Lowes. Any one have any experience with this one? Its about the same price as a decent bench top but I'm thinking I would rather have a floor stand instead since it will be more out of the way than having to move a bech top press out of the way and back to the bench when i want to use it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_78742-46069-PCB660DP_0__?productId=3162489

• Like 1

I have not used that one myself but ive always been kind of a PC fan.  I have alot of experience with JET, and Delta floor standing drill presses and a few others.  Powermatic,and baileigh make some awesome ones too but they are mucho pricey.

For woodworking and such that PC one should be fine. I prefer floor standing models myself.  You should checkout industrial suppliers too.  I cant even get that PC one locally it seems. A Rikon is only a little bit more than the PC.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Regarding the Porter Cable PCB660DP-I've had this drill press for approximately 7 years. It has served me well. Not a bad press for the money. You could buy better ones but you will pay dearly.

I just found this forum today while I was searching for a fix for my drill  press. I wanted to adjust the tension on the pulley as the bit was slipping. The lever was hard to shift. So I used a pipe as a cheater bar. Something broke inside. So as all guys do, I then read the manual. I discovered that I forgot to loosen the locking screws. 

I disassembled the drill press head. I found the broken piece. It's called a "Motor Bar Shifter Assembly" Its cast iron. The part is listed for under $5.00. But I have no way of determining how the part is mounted on the Handle shifter. Has anybody here had this problem before. If so can you help me out.

drillpresspart.jpg.jpg

The last post regarding Porter Cable PCB660DP- I welded the "Motor Bar Shift Assembly" back together and with the head of the Drill Press removed from the post and laid upside down I was able to get access to the inside. With a couple of tries I was able to re-assemble the repaired part. Replaced the head back onto the post. Now the drill press is back in working order. Next time I'll read the manual first.