Help with Wiring

vaultman

I have an entry way light and there are 3 switches that affect it. Though one of them is not hooked up correct. I have done a bunch of research, and I know what my wires are doing... However I cannot seem to find any type of diagram that is the same. I have sketched it out here. Anyone with some electrical advice...

The "P" box is my electrical panel, then it goes with a 3 wire to the light, then 4 wire to switch 1, 4 wire to switch 2, and 4 wire to switch 3. ) Out of the same box as switch 1 comes two other 2 way switches. I believe this is why I have the 4 wire between the entry way light and the first box (that is the one that has me confused)... Anyway I have sketched what I know for sure.... Any help would be hugely appreciated. (I did not sketch Grounds, to avoid the extra lines.)

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

So i got curious about this and had to draw out a wiring diagram, Sterco has it right, i just had to clarify a few things in my mind on my own way...

You other light switches can simply be wired in the normal way, i kept them out to simplify things...

4way switch

Common terminals on the 3 way switches are self explanatory, the travelers also.

But if you are unsure about their purpose, take a meter and check continuity and compare it with this diagram, hopefully everything works out!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vaultman said:

You guys are AWESOME.

I knew that the other two lights were to be wired normal but there was a n extra red wire coming down from the main light. I think that is for those other two lights to get the neutral back...

Now that I have had lunch I am ready to go for it...

Happy to help! It made it extremely easy since you already laid out the ground work by actually posting a picture instead of just a description!  I love wiring diagrams too, so that helps ha

6 minutes ago, phffter said:

i like the drawings. good deal!

dont know how to do them, that a special 'program'?

Haha nah, just whipped it up in paint real quick. I've used programs before specifically for wiring diagrams, but this was meant to be a simple drawing...

thank god someone knows electrical, I hate it I hate it I hate it......any time I have done anything electrical  ouch.....I have son of a .....shocked myself......I learned long ago when I watched the shop electrician damn near kill himself changing a 600V 3 phase fuse from a box.........threw him across the room and burnt his face.....from that day on I let others do any kind of electrical short of changing a light bulb....my brother is an electrician so help... or someone to do it is only a phone call away....  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

So i got curious about this and had to draw out a wiring diagram, Sterco has it right, i just had to clarify a few things in my mind on my own way...

You other light switches can simply be wired in the normal way, i kept them out to simplify things...

4way switch

Common terminals on the 3 way switches are self explanatory, the travelers also.

But if you are unsure about their purpose, take a meter and check continuity and compare it with this diagram, hopefully everything works out!

I guess that is also one way of wiring it. 

Got it working guys!! Thank you. We have lived in this house for 6+ years and have just always dealt with it not working correctly. My wife thinks I am a genius now. I hope this doesn't come with any new expectations...

PS My drawing was a sketch, then scan and upload job. I guess I could have done it on my tablet, but I like the old school way better.