Table saw router table extension

rrich1

With my small area in my garage I don't have room to have a router table. So I decided to finally make one in my table saw wing. I need a router table to make the drawer locks on my car it drawers as well as trying the shaker. It's for the vanity drawer and door fronts. The other day I cut up part of an old desk top to a more manageable size.

Today before work I got to serious work on the router table. I am not done yet. It made great progress. It needs the holes drilled to attach it to the cast iron top and then tightened down. Then just measure out the spot for the kreg insert plate. After that will be a fence to attach to my table saw fence.

75e5992d810700dcfb3e5bddd8bc502a.jpg

75dce1b82bb56adb442e450e6c956531.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Very cool! I want to do that but can't with my DeWalt jobsite saw. I want a cabinet saw so bad!!!

Thanks. I had purchased a Bosch job site saw then returned it after realizing it didn't take up anymore space than this delta from lowes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kruton said:

I've been eyeballing that saw myself. Going to wait and see what Christmas brings in the way of giftcards before I grab a table saw.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

the past few weeks they had done a promotion where if you bought something one week the next week you could use your receipt to get 11% off automatically. would be a good time to get it if they did that again.

let me know if you have any questions

12 hours ago, rrich1 said:

With my small area in my garage I don't have room to have a router table. So I decided to finally make one in my table saw wing. I need a router table to make the drawer locks on my car it drawers as well as trying the shaker. It's for the vanity drawer and door fronts. The other day I cut up part of an old desk top to a more manageable size.

Today before work I got to serious work on the router table. I am not done yet. It made great progress. It needs the holes drilled to attach it to the cast iron top and then tightened down. Then just measure out the spot for the kreg insert plate. After that will be a fence to attach to my table saw fence.

75e5992d810700dcfb3e5bddd8bc502a.jpg

75dce1b82bb56adb442e450e6c956531.jpg

Nice job rich, it looks awesome. Love the hard wood frame too.

• Like 1

Nice job rich, it looks awesome. Love the hard wood frame too.

Thanks. I wanted to use cherry (had left overs just not the right sizes. Oak isn't my favorite anyways) it dies look nice and hopefully being hardwood it will be sturdy. I out 2 coats of satin poly on the oak last night. I got it mounted into the table before I had to take the daughter to gymnastics. It still isn't leveled or tightened down though.

All of the bolts are Allen head and my "good" hex heads are the big husky t handles. Trying to fit those under there and turn is a nightmare. So I purchased a set of Wiha round head hex drivers from@kc_tool to keep my sanity in future endeavors.

• Like 1

Welp I semi messed up. I got the pieces lined up for a flush cut by i must have moved the router height. The insert fit nice and snug but was above the table just a tad. I tried to put the pieces back and do it again but there is more slop in the fit this time. On top of that. I went to quick and forgot to do the corners with a Forster bit. The corners are not the same radius. Doesn't affect anything it just isn't as clean. I also thought i left enough of a lip in the corners but I was wrong. The holes in the plate only matched up with half of the overhang. Overall it isn't a big deal. I am just going to get the kreg leveling plates at my wood store this week. Cut the lip out completely and put the leveling plates in.

And another thing, my double sided tape decided to take off some of the black top. Lol. Oh well. Guess it isn't a show piece. I forgot to get pics right before I left for work of where it sits now. I'll take one on lunch.

I did chamfer the edges to make it less likely to snag. I am happy so far with it.

c1fd892b7877487ee7fe10390252c381.jpg
1b4df5fe3b709613d36ef581dd30021f.jpg

I got the router table finished. I bought the kreg levelers and they worked great. Ice and flush now. I hooked up the Triton router as well with the spring removed so it can work with it being mounted to a table. I purchased the rockler table on/off switch. I like the design of the buttons but not how they attach it to the router. The rockler unit has a cord that comes out and it connects to the power cord of the router. The kreg switch has an outlet on the unit itself. Eliminating a second cord. I like that better but prefer the buttons on the rockler. I'll stew on it for a day to see which one I'll go with.

Next up is a fence!

cc6962fe7135c44b96f5a22a8e992ea6.jpg
ca297155589d6893c5496abde85c3191.jpg
7e8ae316ba6e19cc5c0c3957dc6d5aea.jpg

• Like 4

Hey nice, that's an interesting looking unit, my Porter Cable has a similar lifting mechanism but it's kinda stiff and doesn't raise and lower evenly, it requires playing with it to get it to work, bit of a nuisance... So I haven't used it on the table in awhile. Grizzly table saw has a wing with router hole in it.

I like that router plate you're using, looks very clean!

Made a quick router fence tonight after work. I cut the pieces out earlier and had a plan. I then didn't follow that plan but it still came out ok. I'm sure I'll make a better one later. This one will work for now. I bought a piece for a dust collection port but it is to late to run the saw tonight. I'll do it later.

d4791e67f3fd7833c2ce7804ee9916ed.jpg
d6ed6cae18e66e18e3bc092a0ad063da.jpg

• Like 2

Made a quick router fence tonight after work. I cut the pieces out earlier and had a plan. I then didn't follow that plan but it still came out ok. I'm sure I'll make a better one later. This one will work for now. I bought a piece for a dust collection port but it is to late to run the saw tonight. I'll do it later.

d4791e67f3fd7833c2ce7804ee9916ed.jpg
d6ed6cae18e66e18e3bc092a0ad063da.jpg

I like that! Never thought about using it off the table saw like that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 8:26 AM, JimboS1ice said:

I like that! Never thought about using it off the table saw like that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seemed to be the best option. being able to use the saws measure tape to put it back for repeatable cuts will be nice. just have to document where the cuts were at. I added a dust collection port the other night as well. tried it out real quick and works great.