Whats your favorite electrical tools?

grampage

I'm in the industrial and commercial side of things and a few of my favorite tools are 

1. Channellock 440 tongue and groove pliers. They are cheap and solid. I use them as a hammer sometimes (beating on locknuts). I use them for 1/2" to 2" pipe.

2. Ideal reflex super T-strippers

3. Klein demolition screw driver.

4. Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver 

I buy mostly American made and think Klein and Ideal are great, but Milwaukee has a lot of affordable innovative options that are made overseas.

I agree, I'd send a new guy just starting out to the Milwaukee section, over the southwire section, if he/she were on a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, NicolasRamos said:

I agree, I'd send a new guy just starting out to the Milwaukee section, over the southwire section, if he/she were on a budget.

Why not the channellock section? USA made. High quality (usually) and are generally as nice or nicer than Klein for prices similar to Milwaukee.

• Like 2

Why not the channellock section? USA made. High quality (usually) and are generally as nice or nicer than Klein for prices similar to Milwaukee.

Mainly meant for the insulated drivers, knives, and such. I do love me some channellock!

• Like 1

At Sears you can get the Wiha insulated screwdriver set right now for $32, minus points/coupon. It includes the PH3 unlike Wera and I have to be honest, European screwdrivers are MUCH better than USA(Sadly) or Asian screwdrivers.

Milwaukee or Klein would be my go-to for nut drivers if I was an electrician.

Klein pliers are damn good(Particularly the Journeyman series), Channellocks are good too for the price. Though, most of you know I'm a Knipex fanboy.

Fluke meters are going to be the most dependable and accurate...though the Klein clamp meter is pretty good and fully loaded for really reasonable pricing. The continuity beeper on the Klein is pretty slow but I can think of a reason an electrician would need it to be quick. The fast beeper is great for checking to see if a chip has continuity to a point, you can easily see if a trace on a PCB is good.

• Like 2

At Sears you can get the Wiha insulated screwdriver set right now for $32, minus points/coupon. It includes the PH3 unlike Wera and I have to be honest, European screwdrivers are MUCH better than USA(Sadly) or Asian screwdrivers.

Milwaukee or Klein would be my go-to for nut drivers if I was an electrician.

Klein pliers are damn good(Particularly the Journeyman series), Channellocks are good too for the price. Though, most of you know I'm a Knipex fanboy.

Fluke meters are going to be the most dependable and accurate...though the Klein clamp meter is pretty good and fully loaded for really reasonable pricing. The continuity beeper on the Klein is pretty slow but I can think of a reason an electrician would need it to be quick. The fast beeper is great for checking to see if a chip has continuity to a point, you can easily see if a trace on a PCB is good.

For our new apprentices, they get a list of the basic tools they're required to have. Some of them will not have anything, so I'm not asking them to spend more money than they'll make the first week. I have a loaner bag with extra Klein that I'll let them use from till they get their own. The local sears might sell duct tape, but you'd be hard pressed to find any tools there since it's only an appliance store. Plus, being primarily on the resi side of the trade, a lot of guys don't make it very long. We've gone through almost a dozen trainees last year. If we didn't ask them to leave, they just never came back. Some can't handle having to be in other people's homes, and don't know how to respect people's property. That's always a big deal, especially if their potential future role could be as a service man.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NicolasRamos said:

For our new apprentices, they get a list of the basic tools they're required to have. Some of them will not have anything, so I'm not asking them to spend more money than they'll make the first week. I have a loaner bag with extra Klein that I'll let them use from till they get their own. The local sears might sell duct tape, but you'd be hard pressed to find any tools there since it's only an appliance store. Plus, being primarily on the resi side of the trade, a lot of guys don't make it very long. We've gone through almost a dozen trainees last year. If we didn't ask them to leave, they just never came back. Some can't handle having to be in other people's homes, and don't know how to respect people's property. That's always a big deal, especially if their potential future role could be as a service man.

Good point, probably better to get HF tools then upgrade to what I said as you realize you're going to stick with it...plus you always look like an idiot showing up on your first day with a bunch of high end tools the boss doesn't even have

• Like 1

Good point, probably better to get HF tools then upgrade to what I said as you realize you're going to stick with it...plus you always look like an idiot showing up on your first day with a bunch of high end tools the boss doesn't even have

Only if you don't know how to use those tools BMack! There have been guys that had quality tools, but disregarded that little arrow on the adjustable wrench. I checked. The arrow was still visible. Not worn off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NicolasRamos said:

Only if you don't know how to use those tools BMack! There have been guys that had quality tools, but disregarded that little arrow on the adjustable wrench. I checked. The arrow was still visible. Not worn off.

You can always tell if someone is green with a non-reversing combination wrench, if they can see the wrench but have to check the ratcheting direction or have to flip the wrench over. But yeah, high end dirty tools for someone that has done it before = don't look stupid. High end tools with tags and you're a beginner, you're going to look stupid. The guy that is new with HF tools will probably get more help and maybe some hand-me-down tools from the old guys. I think it has to do with the whole everyone hates the rich kid thing.

• Like 1

You can always tell if someone is green with a non-reversing combination wrench, if they can see the wrench but have to check the ratcheting direction or have to flip the wrench over. But yeah, high end dirty tools for someone that has done it before = don't look stupid. High end tools with tags and you're a beginner, you're going to look stupid. The guy that is new with HF tools will probably get more help and maybe some hand-me-down tools from the old guys. I think it has to do with the whole everyone hates the rich kid thing.

In a sense I agree. Sometimes you can tell if the guy really wants it. And if he's willing to invest on his own accord, then he'll probably be good at using those tools quickly, while asking to be taught. Those types are getting more rare by the day though.

• Like 2

Just now, NicolasRamos said:

In a sense I agree. Sometimes you can tell if the guy really wants it. And if he's willing to invest on his own accord, then he'll probably be good at using those tools quickly, while asking to be taught. Those types are getting more rare by the day though.

All I see is cocky a-holes that you can't tell anything to because they already know the answer. I HATE when people can't admit they are wrong, you don't learn anything by assuming you know everything.

• Like 2

All I see is cocky a-holes that you can't tell anything to because they already know the answer. I HATE when people can't admit they are wrong, you don't learn anything by assuming you know everything.

Yeah I've seen my share of those guys too. I.e. The photo album guy.

• Like 2

Very true in my realm of the trades, can't stand a fellow butcher that treats his blades like a dirty tissue

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NicolasRamos said:

Definitely sounds like you need a lot more then just tools for the profession. Another reason why I want to be an electrician. an I pm you? I had some questions about becoming an electrician.

• Like 3