What I love About The Internet.....

comp56

one of the main reasons I love the internet so much is you can find almost anything good and bad however I have been fascinated by old advertising even as a young boy, I would look at all the older magazines and see the old ads for things that were new at the time.

What is funny is if you look at enough of them you will realize many things have been around for a very long time.

How about a $6.95 lathe from 1936 or a power drill for $35 from the same time period, pretty expensive....

did you know Delta-Milwaukee was a company at one time....

I challenge you all to find your favorite tools from as long ago as you can......try and find it's introduction ad..... 3-2-1 GO!

4.PNG

3.PNG

1948 dremel.PNG

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

• Like 4

I'm they same way Comp. I've spent hours on YouTube watching old commercials. It's interesting to see how technology and advertising have changed over time. 

Here is one of my favorites. It's a GE Farm Welder commercial from 1948. It's 27 minutes long, but it's worth it. Salesmen went town to town holding welding clinics to sell welders. It's cheesy and stereotypical by today's standards, but that's what makes it worth the watch. 

2 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Think of all the fun your husband will have building and fixing shit with a 12 lb. drill!

IMG_6717.JPG

we look at that and think $29.95 that was a heck of a lot of money back then........

1 minute ago, comp56 said:

we look at that and think $29.95 that was a heck of a lot of money back then........

I did an article one time that took the 1964 Craftsman Catalog and adjusted it for inflation. It's amazing how much more affordable tools are in this day and time. Here it is, it's worth reading:

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/07/craftsman-tools-in-retrospect-a-50-year-comparison/

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I did an article one time that took the 1964 Craftsman Catalog and adjusted it for inflation. It's amazing how much more affordable tools are in this day and time. Here it is, it's worth reading:

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/07/craftsman-tools-in-retrospect-a-50-year-comparison/

ya and if you are asking people that paid those prices in the day still say it was worth every penny, my father passed away in 2014 in his early 80's he owned a construction company for many years along with being a very passionate unplugged wood worker as a hobby, I remember him saying that tool prices are so cheap now (2010ish) but on the same breathe would say they didn't make half the tools the same way they did way back......