Fuel hole hawg opinions

AnonymousJoe

28 minutes ago, NicolasRamos said:

That I understood, but i meant the model shown in picture has the 7/16" built into the tool, and I've always understood that you wouldn't wand to adapt it to a 1/2" anyway. Not that you couldn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I was just explaining that since it's not a problem many people run into.  Square drives fall short when it comes to bit retention.  In the days of SDS, starlock, sawzalls that will shoot your hot blade across the room, and even tool free grinders, we're somehow stuck with friction for impact wrenches.

• 4 weeks later...

Well got my hole hawg today with quik lok chuck and 9.0 batteries so I figured I'd add to my thread as I use it and let u guys know what I think of it.

initial impressions: just pulling the trigger this thing feels powerful! I actually first threw the 9.0 in my hammer drill and put it to a stump with an 18" auger and I will say the power increase from a 5.0 to the 9.0 is noticeable. Tried out the hole hawg next and it powered thru the stump no problem. The rpm's  are slower but its definitely more powerful so I'm happy. 

The kit also came with a huge bag that I feel like I can fit 4 or 5 hole hawgs in but I have a smaller bag that came with my sawzall that I'll probably use.

the 9.0 batteries actually don't seem as big as I thought they were and feel pretty light to me. One thing I noticed tho when charging was that the rapid charger was making a buzzing noise and getting pretty hot.

i have a new house to start roughing in tomorrow so I'll post more as I use it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnonymousJoe said:

Well got my hole hawg today with quik lok chuck and 9.0 batteries so I figured I'd add to my thread as I use it and let u guys know what I think of it.

initial impressions: just pulling the trigger this thing feels powerful! I actually first threw the 9.0 in my hammer drill and put it to a stump with an 18" auger and I will say the power increase from a 5.0 to the 9.0 is noticeable. Tried out the hole hawg next and it powered thru the stump no problem. The rpm's  are slower but its definitely more powerful so I'm happy. 

The kit also came with a huge bag that I feel like I can fit 4 or 5 hole hawgs in but I have a smaller bag that came with my sawzall that I'll probably use.

the 9.0 batteries actually don't seem as big as I thought they were and feel pretty light to me. One thing I noticed tho when charging was that the rapid charger was making a buzzing noise and getting pretty hot.

Sweet, I want to jump on that deal from HD as well, just trying to talk myself out of it, knowing i'll probably regret not getting the keyed chuck variant....

• Like 2

Well just playing around with it the quik lok doesn't seem perfect.  When u insert a bit it goes in too far if that makes sense which leaves the locking mechanism partially disengaged.  For a positive lock it needs to stay in the middle but easily pushes past that point.  The bit is still locked in tho. I don't know if it'll be an issue or not but we'll see. Here's a video I found, you'll see the guy push the bit in all the way but if u look close you'll see the locking collar doesn't pop up all the way into the locked position. It's still locked in just not in the sweet spot.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Sweet, I want to jump on that deal from HD as well, just trying to talk myself out of it, knowing i'll probably regret not getting the keyed chuck variant....

Same. I really want to find a deal on one with a keyed chuck. Too stubborn not too.

@AnonymousJoe thanks for the feedback on the Hawg! I love how compact it is compared to the Super and DeBeast, but have read it's easy to stall on a 5.0. I imagine the extra row of cells helps avoid voltage drop and allows it to power through tougher situations. Thanks for the video as well!

Just now, Bremon said:

Same. I really want to find a deal on one with a keyed chuck. Too stubborn not too.

@AnonymousJoe thanks for the feedback on the Hawg! I love how compact it is compared to the Super and DeBeast, but have read it's easy to stall on a 5.0. I imagine the extra row of cells helps avoid voltage drop and allows it to power through tougher situations. Thanks for the video as well!

Screw the self feed bits, I'll use carbide-tipped hole saws and that will never be a problem

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Screw the self feed bits, I'll use carbide-tipped hole saws and that will never be a problem

Most of the stalls I've read about were with 7/8 ship augers actually lol. Red or yellow Big Hawgs are still on my shopping list though lol. 

• Like 1

Yea that thing is annoying, all the rapid chargers do it it sucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

So true. Charge your battery faster (don't worry, you don't actually have a brain tumor, it just sounds like it!). Alternative is running a yellow room fan that only keeps your battery comfortable, not you. 

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Well that's good to know, I haven't used mine yet because @justinkendall's Rapid Charge Station is always around and why charge 4 batteries when you can charge six! My Makita one has a fan that runs the entire time to keep everything cool, but it scared the hell out of me today. It finished charging and has a loud tone to let you know it's done. I didn't know this and was wondering who the hell was in the house using my microwave.

• Like 3

With the Dewalt it's version of a microwave beep is the fan cutting out lol. Doesn't seem like it would be noticeable but that fan is so loud it's noticeable.

The Milwaukee squeals the whole time so when your tinnitus leaves suddenly you know the battery is charged. 

• Like 1

Well that's good to know, I haven't used mine yet because @justinkendall's Rapid Charge Station is always around and why charge 4 batteries when you can charge six! My Makita one has a fan that runs the entire time to keep everything cool, but it scared the hell out of me today. It finished charging and has a loud tone to let you know it's done. I didn't know this and was wondering who the hell was in the house using my microwave.

Bahaha just change the tone on the makita to Fur Elise

Uhhh. I know mine was a gift, but my fingers were crossed that it would be the Keyed chuck. Still a great tool. But a keyed chuck would have provided so many options

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jtkendall said:

Holy shit that made me laugh lol I have got a jump scare from my charges too ???

Well I am super impressed with this drill! I think this just became my favorite Milwaukee tool! Spent 2 days now roughing in a 3000sq ft home and this drill didn't skip a beat. There is definitely a power difference with the 9.0 and to be honest I don't think I'd like it with 5.0's for power and runtime tho. In 2 days and about 90% of the house drilled out I used 2.5 batteries. It sound great but if u watch videos from when the hole hawg first came out with the 4 or 5.0 batteries a Milwaukee rep claimed that u could drill out a 2500 on one charge, I don't see that.  So going into it I guess I expected more runtime from the 9.0 but now looking back I think it did good for the amount of work we did.

i was also right about the convenience of the tool. It actually feels heavier than I thought it would but it's still light enough to one hand it and bit changes are so easy that I hardly ever picked up my hammer drill for a missed hole etc. and that was my goal with this thing so I'm happy. I even let my boss spend some time with it today and he liked it so much he's ordering one for himself!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...