So that's what that was...

Kato

Just now, Atlas2000 said:

Hard to tell what and where it is. I'm guessing your garage door spring failed. Quite amazing (and dangerous) how much energy those things can release.

Had some work done on my garage door and the guy had a friend or a brother that got killed by a garage door spring pretty sad and quite dangerous thats why i hired a guy that know exactly what he is doing 

Garage door spring. It would be fixed already if I had a spare spring laying around. But, who actually plans for something like that. It's okay, someone is coming out to check it out today, hopefully they'll bring what they need and free me from this prison.

Edit: I've done home garage springs plenty of times, and have done springs on warehouse dock doors. It's easy if you know how to do it and don't act like a jackass when you're doing it.

• Like 4

Just now, Kato said:

Garage door spring. It would be fixed already if I had a spare spring laying around. But, who actually plans for something like that. It's okay, someone is coming out to check it out today, hopefully they'll bring what they need and free me from this prison.

Lol did u go to work or had to miss 

Just now, CATERPILLAR said:

Lol did u go to work or had to miss 

Can't go to work if I can't get the car out of the garage. Garage door weights a ton, couldn't even lift it off the ground. Work is cool though, using a personal paid day. Sucks though because we have a new guy starting today and I'm usually the one who starts them out.

5 minutes ago, Kato said:

Can't go to work if I can't get the car out of the garage. Garage door weights a ton, couldn't even lift it off the ground. Work is cool though, using a personal paid day. Sucks though because we have a new guy starting today and I'm usually the one who starts them out.

You should have got the grinder out and cut out of the prison lol jk well hopefully everything goes through with him and who is starting him out does a good job . Did u hang up your miter saw 

10 minutes ago, Kato said:

git your ass out of bed, get in your car , drive through the door get to work claim it on insurance and get it all fixed same time .....probably cheaper than having a day off with pay.....lol but make sure to youtube it....

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Kato said:

Edit: I've done home garage springs plenty of times, and have done springs on warehouse dock doors. It's easy if you know how to do it and don't act like a jackass when you're doing it.

!!!!!! I agree, like most things, don't act like a jackass.....

when mine broke I called a guy 

• Like 1

I watched a guy fix an overhead door, said no problem he knew what he was doin...ect ect .... now that I think about it he almost fixed it and he didn't finish he broke his forearm and went to the hospital.....

I'm strong, if I can't get it off the floor my wife and I together won't do it either. I couldn't get that fucker to even lift an inch, I'm actually really surprised that the door is that heavy and only has one spring on it. Nobody else is around to help. Once someone comes to check it out I'm sure we'll be able to get it open. If they bring a couple of strong guys. Plus...I don't have a spring. Can't lift the door to go buy one, nobody around to go pick one up for me.

If I YouTube myself driving through the door, I doubt insurance will believe it was an accident. The angle grinder might work but I don't know if I'd be able to super-glue the door back together when I was done.

I've done springs before, by myself, all you have to do is brace the rod against the wall when you're winding the spring and when you're tightening the bolts. Our spindle on one side came loose one year, had to jump on the door to get it un-jammed, but rewinding the spring was easy. It really is a piece of cake once you've done it enough. I've seen a guy get knocked off the ladder onto his ass doing a spring, but I don't think he was all-together there to begin with. I'm not one of those know-it-all types of guys but I've done this kind of stuff my whole life. I'm an industrial maintenance mechanic and have done building maintenance since I was 15. 

My wife was going to be home all day anyway, we're expecting new furniture to come today. Me being home is neither here nor there, I have plenty of time off available and work is pretty cool about that stuff. I'm bored shitless though, there's only so much bullshit on tv you can watch before the voices start talking and the killing spree begins...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Did u hang up your miter saw 

Yup, got it hung on the wall next to my car. Fits perfectly there too, if I pull in as far right as I can, my side mirror barely touches the dust bag. I don't pull in that far over though so it's a perfect fit.

Sliding Miter and Stand Mounted.JPG

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kato said:

Yup, got it hung on the wall next to my car. Fits perfectly there too, if I pull in as far right as I can, my side mirror barely touches the dust bag. I don't pull in that far over though so it's a perfect fit.

Sliding Miter and Stand Mounted.JPG

Good job man lookspretty strong did u hook it into the studs

31 minutes ago, Kato said:

I'm strong, if I can't get it off the floor my wife and I together won't do it either. I couldn't get that fucker to even lift an inch, I'm actually really surprised that the door is that heavy and only has one spring on it. Nobody else is around to help. Once someone comes to check it out I'm sure we'll be able to get it open. If they bring a couple of strong guys. Plus...I don't have a spring. Can't lift the door to go buy one, nobody around to go pick one up for me.

If I YouTube myself driving through the door, I doubt insurance will believe it was an accident. The angle grinder might work but I don't know if I'd be able to super-glue the door back together when I was done.

I've done springs before, by myself, all you have to do is brace the rod against the wall when you're winding the spring and when you're tightening the bolts. Our spindle on one side came loose one year, had to jump on the door to get it un-jammed, but rewinding the spring was easy. It really is a piece of cake once you've done it enough. I've seen a guy get knocked off the ladder onto his ass doing a spring, but I don't think he was all-together there to begin with. I'm not one of those know-it-all types of guys but I've done this kind of stuff my whole life. I'm an industrial maintenance mechanic and have done building maintenance since I was 15. 

My wife was going to be home all day anyway, we're expecting new furniture to come today. Me being home is neither here nor there, I have plenty of time off available and work is pretty cool about that stuff. I'm bored shitless though, there's only so much bullshit on tv you can watch before the voices start talking and the killing spree begins...

Lol news is a bunch of depressing  shit 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Good job man lookspretty strong did u hook it into the studs

The stand is on two cheapo shelf brackets, plenty strong, the stand doesn't weight a lot. Those are screwed into the studs, and the stud width was perfect for the shelf brackets to fit in the stand. The miter is on two brackets screwed to the studs. The brackets came from an old computer desk, they were the brackets that held the cpu. Screwed those to the studs too, and the mounts on the saw have threaded rod and aluminum tubing that hooks on the brackets. I put two eye bolts in the brackets just in case I ever thought of putting some kind of strap or bungee on them to keep the saw on, but the eye bolts themselves work perfect to hold the saw.

The saw and stand both lift off and go on very easily, like they were meant to be there. Very easy to store, very easy to get out and use. Only problem now is I don't have anything to do with the saw yet, besides trim down a few boards for future projects. I need to wait for a "serious" bunch of projects to come along so I can go nuts playing with the saw.

• Like 1

As luck would have it, even though I don't consider myself lucky, there's a place by the house that makes springs. Gonna go pick one up later and slap it in. Hopefully it's the right one, went by the door model number and whatnot, and by the info they had on their site.

On a complete side note...there is so much bullshit on tv during the day, I'm happy to not be here to witness it.

• Like 1

As luck would have it, even though I don't consider myself lucky, there's a place by the house that makes springs. Gonna go pick one up later and slap it in. Hopefully it's the right one, went by the door model number and whatnot, and by the info they had on their site.

On a complete side note...there is so much bullshit on tv during the day, I'm happy to not be here to witness it.

I hate doing a service call and having the customer blaring something like the view[emoji37]. I'd rather hear some MTV bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's harder for some than others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know full well that problem. We maintain our springs at work, and sadly some of the guys can't quite grasp the concept that these springs can knock you straight the fuck out. Don't pay attention, dawdle, get absent-minded. It's not fun when you have to fix the spring and babysit at the same time.

Especially when you're in a small man cage on a reach truck 20-30 feet in the air.

• Like 1

I probably sound stupid but springs can really make me nervous. 

I was doing some hardface welding on a shaker deck when some other guys were lifting a new plate up with a excavator. Somehow one spring got knocked out throwing the others off balance. Whole deck dropped two feet one side an about 8 feet on the other side. I flew to the back side of the deck. I was literally lying on my back welding on second an the next I slid several feet an rolled on my over. Except for a car accident it was the worst accident I've been in. Luckily we all walked away. 

Springs are great when there under proper control but if things go wrong I don't want to be there.

• Like 1