New Clamps

Jaybird

For bar clamps I would look on CL or Ebay (for local pick up). Sometimes you can find a good deal.

I bought a large lot on eBay, local pick up only for 300.00 a few years ago. Some of them still had the tags on them. 

I use Quick clamps the most, Dewalt and Irwin are nice. Those I would probably buy only new.

I recently picked up a pair of Bessey Kliklamps and do not like them,  I would not buy them again. 

My favorite quick clamps are from Stanley but I think they stopped making them. You can still find them on eBay, but they are crazy expensive.  They are able to produce the most holding power.   http://toolmonger.com/2007/05/17/hands-on-stanley-fat-max-xtreme-auto-trigger-clamp/

IMG_2850.JPG

If you find any old Hargrave bar clamps in your travels, I highly recommend snapping them up if they are affordable. They are heavy and do not lend themselves to portability, but will withstand abuse over time and will not slip under pressure like pipe clamp designs can. I sold most of mine several years back in a single lot and got just as much as I originally paid for them twenty years earlier. Sort of regret doing it, but didn't have the space for them at the time.

IMG_0326[1].JPG

Model number 640.

Been using the ones I do have left to force the old ceiling joists into position until locking them down.

• Like 1

If you find any old Hargrave bar clamps in your travels, I highly recommend snapping them up if they are affordable. They are heavy and do not lend themselves to portability, but will withstand abuse over time and will not slip under pressure like pipe clamp designs can. I sold most of mine several years back in a single lot and got just as much as I originally paid for them twenty years earlier. Sort of regret doing it, but didn't have the space for them at the time.

IMG_0326[1].JPG

Model number 640.

Been using the ones I do have left to force the old ceiling joists into position until locking them down.

I have 4 older Hargraves (48") that were given to me (free!) by a very good friend. (he's a better friend now! )

I would not ever trade them for anything, nor will I sell them. I will keep (and use) them until I can't do it any longer, then pass them on to the next lucky soul...
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

For bar clamps I would look on CL or Ebay (for local pick up). Sometimes you can find a good deal.

I bought a large lot on eBay, local pick up only for 300.00 a few years ago. Some of them still had the tags on them. 

I use Quick clamps the most, Dewalt and Irwin are nice. Those I would probably buy only new.

I recently picked up a pair of Bessey Kliklamps and do not like them,  I would not buy them again. 

My favorite quick clamps are from Stanley but I think they stopped making them. You can still find them on eBay, but they are crazy expensive.  They are able to produce the most holding power.   http://toolmonger.com/2007/05/17/hands-on-stanley-fat-max-xtreme-auto-trigger-clamp/

IMG_2850.JPG

What's up with stanley stopping production on there good tools? I don't have tons of stanley but the ones i have are great. As for clamps.  Irwin quick clamps are great and replacement pads can be purchased cheaply so it's not a bid deal when you melt the pad sometimes(not that i ever have!). Milwaukee makes some good locking c clamps as well as vise grip. I have irwin and bessey? (not sure, whatever brand hd has) in 24" and 36" and don't have complainers yet.  Although i don't do much wood work. 

20 hours ago, DaveJr. said:

F-clamps and quick clamps, one of the Harbor Freight gems.

I don't have any but have heard good things about the bessey parallel clamps.

Also have some pipe clamps on hand.

Have the Bessey and the HF F style, they work good. I really like the DEWALT quick grip style

Not a fan of the HF quick clamp.

3 hours ago, Theultimatehic said:

What's up with stanley stopping production on there good tools? I don't have tons of stanley but the ones i have are great. As for clamps.  Irwin quick clamps are great and replacement pads can be purchased cheaply so it's not a bid deal when you melt the pad sometimes(not that i ever have!). Milwaukee makes some good locking c clamps as well as vise grip. I have irwin and bessey? (not sure, whatever brand hd has) in 24" and 36" and don't have complainers yet.  Although i don't do much wood work. 

I wish I knew, all the yellow and black ones are from the Stanley Bailey line, no idea on why they are not around any more. I really like them.  I just Googled Stanley Bailey F clamps and it looks like they are still available in the UK. Whats up with that?

• Like 1

I've actually had really bad luck with Dewalt quick clamps. I've had three bad ones that started slipping so much that I had to throw them away. Irwin is my go to brand for quick clamps. Irwin also has a bunch of new accessories for their clamps that can make them into pretty serviceable corner and edge clamps. I spotted there at Lowes but you can probably find them online as well. 

I can also tell you from personal experience NOT to buy Tekton quick clamps. They are really poorly made and while they don't slip, they are flimsy, full of sharp edges and generally very poor quality, which is quite surprising given the usual quality of their other tools. 

For parallel clamps, I really love Jet. I've tried the Bessey Revo's but I just didn't care for the release lever.  The Jets are expensive but definitely worth the $$$. 

For F clamps, you probably missed the best deals off the year a few weeks ago. HD usually has 8 clamp packages as part of the BF extravaganza but your local store might still have some left. I've been meaning to check out HF, but I need to build a clamp rack before I buy any more. 

• Like 2

Irwin makes awesome quickclamps and i havent had good luck with the dewalt ones either. Stanley Black&Decker knew this..... if you cant beat the competition, buy the competition. Yes, SBD bought Irwin.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Wally13 said:

Irwin makes awesome quickclamps and i havent had good luck with the dewalt ones either. Stanley Black&Decker knew this..... if you cant beat the competition, buy the competition. Yes, SBD bought Irwin.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

bought a mess load of irwins dirt cheap when ACE had them on sale, great quick clamps

17 hours ago, khariV said:

I've actually had really bad luck with Dewalt quick clamps. I've had three bad ones that started slipping so much that I had to throw them away. Irwin is my go to brand for quick clamps. Irwin also has a bunch of new accessories for their clamps that can make them into pretty serviceable corner and edge clamps. I spotted there at Lowes but you can probably find them online as well. 

I can also tell you from personal experience NOT to buy Tekton quick clamps. They are really poorly made and while they don't slip, they are flimsy, full of sharp edges and generally very poor quality, which is quite surprising given the usual quality of their other tools. 

For parallel clamps, I really love Jet. I've tried the Bessey Revo's but I just didn't care for the release lever.  The Jets are expensive but definitely worth the $$$. 

For F clamps, you probably missed the best deals off the year a few weeks ago. HD usually has 8 clamp packages as part of the BF extravaganza but your local store might still have some left. I've been meaning to check out HF, but I need to build a clamp rack before I buy any more. 

Awesome, yeah I have a couple jet and I'll second the jet parallel clamps are superb

• Like 1

This lot was on CL yesterday for 125.00. The red ones are Jet, super deal but I already have enough bar clamps.

The Tekton quick clamps look exactly like the Grip ones that rocker used to sell. http://www.rockler.com/6-in-pistol-grip-hold-down-clamp-spreader I picked up 4 of them on sale for around 4.99 a year ago.  I find them to be ok for 6in clamps, I have no regrets buying them at that price.

00U0U_hrPqfEv1Izn_600x450.jpg

maybe try some quickgrip from Irwin. They come in a variety of sizes. The small ones are fairly weak on the clamping power so I would suggest a bigger model of quickgrip. I would suggest Andrew Klein's parallel clamp he designed because it not only has horizontal clamping pressure but also has vertical pressure as well. It is still in the prototype stage so I can't suggest it.