Great book !

rrmccabe

For those looking for an interesting read who enjoy Woodworking I highly recommend this book.

It's taken a long time for me to come to this point and understand that having better/high tech power tools is not always the way to achieve a better finished product. Often hand tools are the answer for the perfect fit that you cant repeatedly do with a power tool.  I recently realized this when creating my first shooting board which I plan to redo with better woods now that I see the benefit of having something that works so well.

Anyway, this book is all about the blend of power and hand tools. Its written by Mark Spagnuolo (AKA The Wood Whisperer).

Two thumbs up from me.

The only downside to this is I find myself surfing lie-nielsen.com for tools which from a price standpoint is like the Festool of tools without cords.

20170123_153259.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

For those looking for an interesting read who enjoy Woodworking I highly recommend this book.

It's taken a long time for me to come to this point and understand that having better/high tech power tools is not always the way to achieve a better finished product. Often hand tools are the answer for the perfect fit that you cant repeatedly do with a power tool.  I recently realized this when creating my first shooting board which I plan to redo with better woods now that I see the benefit of having something that works so well.

Anyway, this book is all about the blend of power and hand tools. Its written by Mark Spagnuolo (AKA The Wood Whisperer).

Two thumbs up from me.

The only downside to this is I find myself surfing lie-nielsen.com for tools which from a price standpoint is like the Festool of tools without cords.

20170123_153259.jpg

Got it, great book! Plus I podcast Woodtalk online ALL OF THE TIME :(

You should see my specialty planes!

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

You should see my specialty planes!

I am hoping not to go down that path too far. I really dont want to be a hand tool woodworker but would like to use them to improve the finish product. 

That said a few weeks ago I stepped up to a Lie Nielsen #62 low angle jack plane and then ordered a Lie Nielsen small block plane and rabbiting block plane. Honestly the only other planes I might by someday is a larger shoulder plane and possibly router plane.