Hitachi woodworking router bearings?

Jay-J

I have a 10 year old 3 1/4 hp Hitachi m12v router than has taken a crap in me. I changed the brushes on it about 2 years ago but recently I tried using it and it was having a slight burning smell.  Also, it doesn't run or sound smoothly anymore.  

I did buy the newer M12ve router which I just got yesterday.

I was wondering if the bearings are shot on the old router.  I don't have any experience taking apart a router. Is this a project I can take on? Would it be difficult? Anyone ever change out bearings on a router before? Unfortunately there really isn't any instruction on the internet to change bearings on routers.

thanks..

3 hours ago, Jay-J said:

I have a 10 year old 3 1/4 hp Hitachi m12v router than has taken a crap in me. I changed the brushes on it about 2 years ago but recently I tried using it and it was having a slight burning smell.  Also, it doesn't run or sound smoothly anymore.  

I did buy the newer M12ve router which I just got yesterday.

I was wondering if the bearings are shot on the old router.  I don't have any experience taking apart a router. Is this a project I can take on? Would it be difficult? Anyone ever change out bearings on a router before? Unfortunately there really isn't any instruction on the internet to change bearings on routers.

thanks..

Try this Jay... parts breakdown too...

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hitachi-m12v-1234-router-314-15amp-electronic-variable-speed-parts-c-7927_13365_15604.html

The old M12v is a dream to work on. They're built simple and heavy. A couple things to check though, occasionally the top bearing seizes and spins the outer race, this heats up and melts the casing, later M12v models had a metal insert in the housing, this doesn't allow that to happen. Also, be sure to fit metal shielded c3 bearings, rubber sealed ones just don't handle the speed. Personally I prefer skf explorers.

Good luck

Matt

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Well earlier this week I ordered the replacement bearing.  Thanks ChrisK for Hitachi diagram.. I was able to take apart the router pretty easily. The top bearing was fine; it was the bottom bearing that seized. I expect new bottom bearing to be shipped mid week. I let you know how it runs ( if I can remember how to put it back together!!)

• Like 1