Do you wear gloves?

jtkendall

Just wondering if others wear gloves when working; whether that’s at a job, on your own stuff, or just the items on a honey-do list.

I wear gloves all the time, when I’m working on my truck I wear regular mechanic style work gloves either Mechanix Wear or Ironclad since I just bought several pairs of them. I wear disposable gloves when changing the oil or dealing with cat litter. I wear thicker Mechanix gloves when I take trash to the dump because there can be sharp items in bags and it’s literally a dump. I also always wear gloves when dealing with pressure treated lumber.

I posted a photo on Instagram last night of gloves and a Wiha driver, apparently people have problems with my use of gloves. What I’ve gathered based on two comments:

1. I am lame for wearing gloves when changing a turn signal bulb even though my 21 year old truck has all the rust, dirt, and grime typically associated with a 21 year old truck that doesn’t sit in a museum.

2. Canadians are tougher and find it funny that I’m wearing “extra padded” gloves when their winter gloves don’t have as much padding.

The gloves in question are thin with no extra insulation and I just don’t like having to scrub my hands for 10 minutes with an abrasive soap to remove dirt and grime when it can be avoided. I see no appeal or sense of accomplishment in being dirty as hell after work when a simple pair of gloves prevents it.

5a22c4b0aa736_IMG_05101.thumb.JPG.1a47d7b58dd925ef9f2425f0d4262a19.JPG

This five year old glove sits on my counter as a constant reminder to not forget... Trim saw bounced out of a cut, and without proper gloves, I might not have the use of that finger today. People who rag on you for using safety equipment are idiots. It is their right to not use gloves if they want, but the old saw about borrowed time applies.

I do not always use gloves for every bit of work I do, but handling chemicals without protection is a pet peeve of mine, and I will go out of my way to make sure that gloves are available for working with them in those instances. Outside of that, it depends on exactly what I am doing and the level of Murphy perceived.

• Like 1

5a22c4b0aa736_IMG_05101.thumb.JPG.1a47d7b58dd925ef9f2425f0d4262a19.JPG

This five year old glove sits on my counter as a constant reminder to not forget... Trim saw bounced out of a cut, and without proper gloves, I might not have the use of that finger today. People who rag on you for using safety equipment are idiots. It is their right to not use gloves if they want, but the old saw about borrowed time applies.

I do not always use gloves for every bit of work I do, but handling chemicals without protection is a pet peeve of mine, and I will go out of my way to make sure that gloves are available for working with them in those instances. Outside of that, it depends on exactly what I am doing and the level of Murphy perceived.
I one upped you I cut my thumb off so I would have a constant reminder

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, jtkendall said:

I wear disposable gloves when changing the oil...

I just don’t like having to scrub my hands for 10 minutes with an abrasive soap to remove dirt and grime when it can be avoided. I see no appeal or sense of accomplishment in being dirty as hell after work when a simple pair of gloves prevents it.

Same here. I use thin latex gloves but I will buy some better disposable gloves when these run out.

I always wear leather gloves when using the chainsaw, recip saw and angle grinder.

I see some people (stupidly) welding without gloves, but I always wear them.

This summer I will start wearing gloves when mowing, primarily to keep from getting sunburnt hands. I'll probably just use cotton gardening gloves or whatever I can find that won't be too hot to wear in 35 degrees (Celsius).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, D W said:

I always wear leather gloves when using the chainsaw, recip saw and angle grinder.

Never thought of wearing leather gloves with a recip saw or angle grinder, it makes complete sense. Now I need to buy a couple of pairs and put one in each TSTAK so I always have them with the tool.

44 minutes ago, D W said:

This summer I will start wearing gloves when mowing…

I wear heavier padded gloves whenever I am doing yard work so when I have to hop off the mower and move something I don't have to worry about spider webs, dirt, or water and should I move something and find an animal I have a little more protection on my hands.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jtkendall said:

wearing leather gloves with a recip saw or angle grinder

Yeah it's great. With a recip saw you can remove hot blades and handle splintery wood without a problem.

I have a bit of a "find the perfect glove" mission going on at the moment. So far I really like the cheap Dewalt leather gloves.

Have you had any experience with anti vibration gloves? I only just realised they were a thing yesterday. Supposed to be good for mowing etc. I'm looking for a pair to try now. 

When I laid rebar for a footer business, I wore cheap jersey style gloves, usually layering them (especially in winter) as they wore out.  I recall Mechanix brand gloves becoming popular when I was an automotive technician in the late-90s, but I never wore them back then.  Now, I usually forget or misplace my gloves when at work--a cookoff on an M249 light machine gun last year found me picking gunpowder out of my hand for a few days--but I almost always wear them when doing most things.  The Black Widow brand disposable gloves that Lowe's carries in the paint department work well for messy auto work, though Harbor Freight's gloves are not bad.  I keep a box of disposable gloves along with a couple of pairs of Mechanix-style gloves in the truck.  

The HF mechanics gloves and latex gloves are nice. I have a ton of Mechanix gloves, I buy them on clearance, I like them a lot but haven't used most because I'm waiting for the first pair to wear out...some of them feel a lot less durable.

They do have a microfiber material that I'd strongly advise to NOT use if you're near spark or flame, microfibers are extremely flammable but super durable even when thin.

Gloves are the bane of an Electrician’s existence. We sometimes have to wear them, I want to wear them, but you simply cannot do fine/precision work.
I tried fingerless gloves, or gloves with the tip of the first and middle finger missing, and the result is pretty much the same.

Someone needs to make a proper fitting glove for high dexterity applications!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I wear gloves whenever I'm doing anything around tools (except using a miter saw) or in the yard.  Recently, while doing some demo work, I started without gloving up first and the sawzall kicked back and slammed my finger between the handle and the top of a ladder.  My finger still hurts.  I got lucky and suited up and I was glad that I did when a big chunk of 2x10 dropped oddly and knocked my hard hat off. I don't want to think what would have happened had I not been wearing it.

The one thing that kills gloves the fastest for me is hauling wood in for the wood stove.  I would go through a nice pair in about a month.  Last BF, I found the 3 for $20 Husky heavy duty gloves and those have been serving me well ever since, so I can definitely recommend them.

4 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Gloves are the bane of an Electrician’s existence. We sometimes have to wear them, I want to wear them, but you simply cannot do fine/precision work.
I tried fingerless gloves, or gloves with the tip of the first and middle finger missing, and the result is pretty much the same.

Try doing outlet covers with gloves on :) Well now they have the screwdriver and plastic tab that's "supposed" to hold the screw. I still can't believe nothing better has been invented

6 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

What they should do is a seemless sheep skin finger tips with neoprene or thick elastic on the base of the finger. It would probably be expensive but it would be tight and soft, which is always nice...wait, what were we talking about?

Nitrile for grease. Thin dipped gloves for any sharp/cold stuff. Lincoln Ironworkers or Tig gloves for handling metal stock. Welding gloves for welding. If I'm working a 14 hour day in the shop my hands are getting dirty no matter what so I just wash twice a day, before lunch and before I go home and don't worry about gloves. I have some nice things insisted ones for the winter. Don't remember the brand. Well I'm unemployed as of last Tuesday so I don't have to worry about gloves now.

• 4 years later...

According to me, wearing gloves is a precautionary thing and everyone should use them before doing any dangerous work like working with metal or rebar. Not just only gloves but to make sure you stay safe, you should use new-age tools which will keep you safe if you are working with rebar cutting or bending use a rebar cutter, hydraulic rebar cutter, electric rebar cutter, rebar bender, portable rebar bender, etc. Make sure you are safe before you start working.