An approach to universal battery packs

D W

I ran across these Dewalt AA Laser battery packs on Ebay (image source is Melbourne Tool Sales on Ebay).

Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers sold battery packs like these that you put your own 18650 cells into. All the protection electronics would be in the pack, with just the batteries being removable. This would allow you to either charge the pack on the usual charger, or, remove the cells and charge on a standard AA/18650/26650 battery charger.

Cells could be removed and put into another manufacturers pack.

I'm sure there are many problems with this including cell movement, connection quality, temperature monitoring, dust, water etc. If an effort was made i'm sure some of these could be avoided.

dewalt battery 1.jpg

dewalt battery 2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

You realize they make more on consumables than the tools, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh I understand that, and I guarantee the manufacturers will never do something like this. Unless, perhaps there is a major worldwide shortage of lithium, or something causes their production cost/sale price to soar so high that they see a decline in tool sales because people can't afford the batteries, then maybe they might consider doing it to get tool sales back up (a massive unlikely hypothetical scenario!).

I'm not really talking the economics of it all, just merely throwing up an idea to think about. A third party could make it happen (please, someone out there do it :))

Edited by D W
added more

5 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Neat idea but you want a battery like we have now. Look at how some guys treat their power tools, an easy open battery pack will be dropped from a roof onto concrete open and spill the cells everywhere and everyone on the jobsite will call them junk.

The fastening mechanism would definitely have to be better than the one in the photo.

1 hour ago, rcarnes911 said:

Sounds like a big headache, you will end up with tons of loose batteries all over the place

A 15 cell pack would be a nightmare!

A pack like this for 3 cell M12 and Bosch 12V would be almost manageable. The bottom lid mechanism could be a cap that screws off. 

There's a huge problem of putting cells into the same pack that have different charge levels.

• Like 1

The main problem with this would be letting people cope with unprotected Li-Ion cells. Just look at all these e-cig guys that put unprotected 18650 in the same pocket with their keys. Further annoying would be the no doubt higher price. You would have to have all time cell voltage monitoring because you could put non-matched cells in there, the contacting would be non trivial etc.

But i have to say the concept is interesting :D

• Like 1