Makita 18v Jig Saw

cliu

Does anyone have experience with this? I am deciding between it and the Ryobi 18v jig saw. I use Makita batteries, but I have an adapter that lets me use them on Ryobi tools. I am leaning more towards the Ryobi because it is only about 1/5 of the price and this is not a tool that I will be using all the time. Is there anything about the Makita that justifies the difference in price?

Something people have niggles about with the brushless model(s) is Makita’s choice to make them obligatory load-sensing. You can’t modulate the rate via the trigger at all. So a lot of people prefer to get the brushed model. I admit I kinda agree, and would have done the same had I known in the first place, but it also isn’t that terribly difficult to learn anyway.

• Like 1

I owned the Makita DJB181.  I sold it but not because I didn't like it.  I want to upgrade to the Mafell at some point so with all honesty, I think that Makita makes a great jigsaw in the 18v lineup.  And I have to agree with @ToolBane response, my Makita was not variable control speed with trigger control but rather the load sensing speed and having variable speed is a good thing in a jigsaw though I did not mind the load bearing speed and actually got to like it quite a bit.   I do not like high grip jigsaws though.

I also have to agree with ToolBane on the brushless models - pretty much exactly how I feel about my XVJ02Z. Another bone to pick is the stupid power button that times out quickly. WTF? The trigger already behaves like a manual on/off switch since it's not even variable. Why didn't they just put a lock-off button and call it a day? OK, that was my chance to rant about the brushless models...

Anyway, cliu, you needn't worry since the model you are looking at is the brushed version. I understand that it's tough to justify the higher price tag for something that doesn't get used as much (at least for the average home owner).

7 hours ago, bee-man said:

I understand that it's tough to justify the higher price tag for something that doesn't get used as much (at least for the average home owner).

Exactly, especially since I have  a much cheaper alternative.