How Powerful a Router do I Need?

cliu

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

For what you are describing a 2.25 PC or Bosch would be a great machine. Handle a 1/2” bit no problem plus run 1/4” bits too.

Other than cost, is there any other reason to get a 2.25 HP rather than a 3.25 HP?

Nope. A 3+ hp router is bigger and better. If you are doing small stuff there is really no reason to get a bigger router but if you think you are going to use it for bigger projects then I would spend the cash. The 2.25will handle mos stuff but obviously a bigger router will do more stuff. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Nope. A 3+ hp router is bigger and better. If you are doing small stuff there is really no reason to get a bigger router but if you think you are going to use it for bigger projects then I would spend the cash. The 2.25will handle mos stuff but obviously a bigger router will do more stuff. 

There might be 3 hp routers that are the same size and weight as the 2 1/4 hp units, but a lot of them are too big and heavy for precise hand held routing IMO. If you get one of those to use in a router table, I’d pick up a palm router for smaller tasks. 

My Bosch MRC23 doesn’t have any problems running cope and stick bits to build cabinet doors, or an 1 3/4” surfacing bit in oak. If you plan to run the very large raised panel bits in one pass, I’d step up to a bigger machine though. 

These are big bits, almost 2” diameter and they hog out a lot of material. 

https://www.cpooutlets.com/freud-99-762-shaker-adjustable-stile-and-rail-router-bits/feun99-762,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=feun99-762&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk_TbBRDsARIsAALJSOaXmbrGCRQ7QIIGyaXfHBp06nMqBke5JPS1qJvG1D1wiSbg6htIQtEaAhrEEALw_wcB

15 minutes ago, Jpgwoodworking said:

There might be 3 hp routers that are the same size and weight as the 2 1/4 hp units, but a lot of them are too big and heavy for precise hand held routing IMO. If you get one of those to use in a router table, I’d pick up a palm router for smaller tasks. 

My Bosch MRC23 doesn’t have any problems running cope and stick bits to build cabinet doors, or an 1 3/4” surfacing bit in oak. If you plan to run the very large raised panel bits in one pass, I’d step up to a bigger machine though. 

These are big bits, almost 2” diameter and they hog out a lot of material. 

https://www.cpooutlets.com/freud-99-762-shaker-adjustable-stile-and-rail-router-bits/feun99-762,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=feun99-762&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk_TbBRDsARIsAALJSOaXmbrGCRQ7QIIGyaXfHBp06nMqBke5JPS1qJvG1D1wiSbg6htIQtEaAhrEEALw_wcB

That’s what my OF2200 is for. Mostly mortising and large diameter bits. My PC2.25 is my table mounted router. 

A reson to go with a 2 hp router over a 3 hp is most are smaller and lighter than the 3hp routers. My OF1400 is around 1.75 hp and it is a great all around router. It hasn't lacked power for my routing so far. A good midsize router that can fit 1/2 inch collets is probably what you would want.

On 8/22/2018 at 3:29 AM, cliu said:

Other than cost, is there any other reason to get a 2.25 HP rather than a 3.25 HP?

A 3 hp router is HEAVY and clumsy for hand held work and is best used in a table. A slightly undersized router can get by in a table by taking multiple passes if you are using a big bit. It depends on what you want to do, whether you will often even use a bit requiring that much power. The Bosch kit is a great compromise, with plenty of power, known good quality and a fixed base you can install in the table and a plunge base you can use for hand held work. The Triton plunge routers allow for the plunge spring to be removed and table top adjustment, when used as a table router.