Building a new house

I redid every room in my old house over the course of the 3 years I lived there. New paint, doors, baseboards, trim, tile in the kitchen, bathrooms, and dining rooms. I replaced all the door hardware, every light fixture and faucet in the house, all new appliances excluding the dishwasher and while I hired it out, I replaced the AC,  Furnace, and carpet. Hell, it's practically a new house. I worked on it continuously the entire time I lived there. Now I get to start all over on a house twice as big. I can't say I'm really disappointed though. I enjoy the work. 

Now you are going to be even more crazy busy!

My wife and I are headed to Boston next week for a Union convention. You're usually done with business by 2:00 and being in Boston for the 4th will be pretty cool. We go somewhere cool about every year. We've been to New York City, Asheville, NC where the Biltmore Estate is, Memphis, TN (biggest dump I was ever in) and several other places. It's a paid trip for 5 days with no kids. We missed the one in Toronto and the one in New Orleans. Hoping to make it out to Chicago one of these days. Maybe we could have a little get together. We'd probably have to Skype Wayne in though :lol:

• 4 months later...

Crazyandy,

How difficult is it to put a 220 line into a existing home. I have 1 main panel and a sub panel...unfortunately when we expanded the kitchen last year, the electrician used up about 5 single breaker slots on the sub panel for the extension, and I only have 1 slot free. I was looking at getting 1 (really would like to add 2) 220 lines to be able to get a big compressor and power for a 220v welder and be able to swap it out with a 220 plasma cutter....cost wise are we talking $100's or $1000's....(my friends BMW needed a repair...the  service tech told him "Yes that is 3 ZEROS right of the decimal point" )

How has the build been going? There really is no need for a 400amp service too

No build Andy. Found a house for $230K that would take probably take $300K to build with the prices I was getting. 1.5 pretty flat acres, 3 miles outside of town, and a monster 3 car garage with lots of outlets and lighting. Needs a little work because the lady that lives there got divorced a couple years ago and hasn't been able to keep up with it properly. I'm not opposed to breaking out the power tools though :lol:

I missed out on a chance to pick up a 2 nice 1.5 acre neighboring lots 2 years ago ($102K)....I was worried we were getting ready for another correction....today those lots are  $370K...oh Well I hope you enjoy the new place...Like I told my wife when we built this house, "You can never have enough garages"... :P I shot for a 5 car option....but got beat down to a 4 car option  (2+2)...

Kinkaid, you have 1 slot left in the main panel or sub panel, or altogether?

Running the breaker isn't to tough and anyone who's ever done it can walk you through it.

Probably even some nice videos on YouTube.

If you don't have the space in your panel box you'll probably have to upgrade your sub panel (I assume it's 100 amp) to a 200 amp. That will be a little tougher and you'll want an electrician to do it.

Thanks for the information. 

I have just 1 slot left in the main breaker and none in the sub-panel. The panel uses Square D breakers. Total AMP to the house is 200 ( I am guessing this because the main breaker in the box says 200 on it.)....So this will be a later project.

I will probably GO BIG when I do it. if I need to upgrade the service, that wont be $100's that will be $1000's...On well...I got time.  

Your sub panel is probably 100 amp which give you a total of 300 amp service. Adding another sub-panel would give you 400 amp service. 

Thats not how it works.  You can add as many sub panels as you would like your service size is not getting bigger.  Your limited to the size wire feeding your main panel and wire from the power company.

Thats not how it works. You can add as many sub panels as you would like your service size is not getting bigger. Your limited to the size wire feeding your main panel and wire from the power company.

Good to know. I had a 100 amp upgraded to 200 in my first house. Guess I didn't catch that part of the process.