Building a new house

It appears things have all fallen into place and we're going to be building a new house by the end of the summer. My garage will be a 22x20 2 car. Not as big as I'd like, but bigger than I have now. My question is this, If you were in my position what features would you incorporate into it? I will have a 12x12 shed for mowers and other things that typically clutter the garage as well. Just trying to get a brainstorming session going here.

• Like 1

Well is this just going to be a car garage or more of a workshop garage? Is the garage going to be attached or detached? A few ideas would be having a drain in the floor its nice so you can wash off a car when it's cold out, and also bring out hot and cold water if possible if you really want the man cave garage I would put up a urinal if you can they have the no flush ones now. Lot's of nice tool storage and benches. That's all I can think of now. One last thing try to go as high as possible with the garage for attic storage if possible.

It'll be more of a working shop than a parking space. I'll definitely have plumbing, gas heat seperate from the central unit running the house, and I plan to have 2 220V outlets (1 on each side of the garage). I also plan to run a line from my compressor to the center of the ceiling to allow for a centrally located, retractable 50' hose reel, giving me quick access to air anywhere in the garage or driveway. Beyond that, I'm still looking for ideas. 

I would run a subpanel  in the garage it might end up making things simpler in the long run. Also If it's really hot and humid I would consider getting an AC unit of some kind. Good lighting is kind of a given. I dunno If drywall and insulation is in the cards at the moment. Also an area to put a compressor that's out of the way and keeps the noise down would be nice if your using air tools a lot. Also if possible build the garage up on like one course of brick keeps things cleaner if you want to be able to hose it down. A nice floor coating of some kind is an idea.

Floor coating is a must. Thought about Racedeck flooring, but at nearly $3 sq. ft. I'll probably go with an epoxy instead. I'd love to locate the compressor somewhere else, but I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to pull it off.

I would install a good sized exhaust fan for when your welding. I would run cable for the tv and defenitely have a fridge.

I don't watch much TV, but a fridge is a must! Exhaust fan is a good idea as well.

Haha In my professional electrician opinion I would for sure put a 100 Amp sub panel in your garage so you will have plenty of power and plenty of expanding room! rather more than less, its easier to do it now than it is when everything is done. I would suggest 2x4 fluorescent lighting, 5k lamps are really bright, but lots of times I have installed can lighting in garages for the little extra room and it looks pretty slick and classy! Put power out in the shed right away you wont regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

depending on the soil test for the block you're building on i would try to bury the compressor, dirt is a marvelous sound insulator. don't worry about heating, make a wood burner. Your chippie mates will have more off-cut wood than you will ever need. Fire in a workshop gives it a soul, even a new shiny new workshop. Maybe polish the concrete floor its not that dear down here and its a nice finish

I hadn't really given a wood stove any thought. Something to think about though.

Natural gas is pretty cheap right now and its so easy to use you just flick the thermostat over and you got heat. If you really wanted to be fancy you could get a wifi thermostat for 100 bucks and put the temp up before your even in the garage. I love the smell of a wood stove, but im too lazy to deal with the work that goes with it. I have 2 8 foot high output flourecent lights in my garage and love it they fire up just fine even when the garage is freezing in the middle of a michigan winter. How would you bury a compressor though the logistics of it seem kinda crazy I'm not trying to insult anyone by asking.

• 3 weeks later...

No build Andy. Found a house for $230K that would take probably take $300K to build with the prices I was getting. 1.5 pretty flat acres, 3 miles outside of town, and a monster 3 car garage with lots of outlets and lighting. Needs a little work because the lady that lives there got divorced a couple years ago and hasn't been able to keep up with it properly. I'm not opposed to breaking out the power tools though :lol: