JH Williams

firefighter4187

I am looking into revamping my socket collection. I am a fan of Kobalt and I know that they were made in the USA by Williams years ago, which is owned by Snap-On. I have been looking into some Williams stuff on eBay, what do you guys think about them?

Williams is good stuff. As you know, Williams is Snap-On's industrial brand. They have a lot more import items than they used to, but I wouldn't get too hung up on that. I believe the industrial brands like Proto, Blackhawk, Williams, Wright, and Armstrong, offer the best quality/price ratio out there. Truck brands are nice, but at the end of the day you're paying crazy prices for something when you could've gotten equal quality from an industrial line for half the money. That tool truck doesn't run on hopes and dreams, it runs on mark-up. Industrial brands aren't always as flashy as the truck tools, but in most cases the quality is just as good. I've invested a lot of money in Proto and Blackhawk and I've never once regretted it or wished I had went with Snap-On or Mac instead.

I think Williams is a fine choice. Don't be afraid to bank on some vintage items either. Vintage tools are addictive :) 

I should add that the Hanson trays are expensive for being a little plastic tray. You can get the same thing at HF for a fraction of the price. Also, to use trays you'll need sufficient deep drawers in your box.

They have a lifetime warranty against defects. It doesn't cover the tool just being worn out, but that's on par with the other industrial brands. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. Industrial brands are a whole different ball game compared to the store brands. I've used Proto nearly all my life and some of them were well used when I got them, but the only warranty claims I've made was for a ratchet rebuild kit and a pair of pliers I broke being stupid. Industrial tools will likely last you a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...