New Dewalt 20v Tools and Others

07Sierra

It makes no sense, why would it have the same power using a more efficient brushless motor?

Traditionally brushed motors have more torque than brushless ones. The real benefit to brushless is the motor life and run time. Makita, Metabo, etc., all have their highest torque models as brushed versions.

But the toolguyd is probably wrong at first he rated the dewalt 8v gyro at 80 in/lb but we now know it is rated at 24 in/lb so only time will tell and still if its lighter have more run time and the same torque its gone a be a nice upgrade

As seen here, a picture of the premium hammer, looks a little bit shorter, and specs are saying less torque than the fuel, not confirmed but thats what being said, changed the clutch to one dial vs a clutch dial and a drill, drive and hammer dial, that could be a make or break on a buy.

Dewalt-20V-XR-Premium-Brushless-Hammer-D

As seen here, a picture of the premium hammer, looks a little bit shorter, and specs are saying less torque than the fuel, not confirmed but thats what being said, changed the clutch to one dial vs a clutch dial and a drill, drive and hammer dial, that could be a make or break on a buy.

Dewalt-20V-XR-Premium-Brushless-Hammer-D

The dial is a small change for me because the handle design for the milwaukee sucks... A simple left or right is a terrible design IMO

The spin dial has been used forever and most people to me really would never notice the difference... I showed my buddy who runs the 20v system and it didn't seem to phase him at all. I could live with it as long as it cuts down on length

They could of made it shorter by cutting out the great handle design, or maybe cutting out the 3 speed transmission but those features probably make more sense to users then the clutch dial...

I been using my 985 the last few days and my perfect spot for the handle for me is like on a 60 degree angle and that to me is perfect so not being able to do that with the Fuel to me would really hurt in my buying decision...

If specs are right which we don't know, with the Fuel on the big batteries is making 725, small battery 650, Dewalt on ANY! battery makes 708, 17 in lbs in difference...

Weight is off by .3lbs with Dewalt being a bit heavier... in reality it's hard to tell the difference when you hold them... Milwaukee is shorter but none of us can tell yet by how much..

Dewalt has 3rd speed Milwaukee none

Dewalt has to me better overall handle design

Milwaukee has seperate clutch dial

Overall these drills are probably so close it all depends on what battery you own already

The 985 and 2604 when tested by TIA, the only realy true difference was the runtime, power seemed neck and neck...

So basically buy whatever drill goes with your cordless system..

The Dewalt isn't making the same power on a 2ah pack as it is a 4ah nor is any other drill. They may not all specify that, but it's the truth.

I'm still not seeing what's so terrible about the fuel handle.

Everyone I asked even Dewalt themselves told me the same thing... same power no matter what you use

I use the 3rd speed, to drill holes unless it bogs down and electronics kicked in I'd knock it down a notch to #2

The Milwaukee handle offers 2 spots either left or right, not much of handle to me...

Amps and Ah are not the same thing. 3.0 A.h. means that the battery can theoretically deliver 3 Amps for 1 hour. A 1.5 A.h. battery can only deliver 1.5 Amps for 1 hour or 3 Amps for ½ hour. The actual number of amps drawn depends on the voltage and the circuitry of the tool. In use the two tools may draw exactly the same amps and thus have exactly the same Power (Watts) rating. If they both draw 1.5 Amps in use then the 1.5 Ah battery will last for 1 hour, the 3.0 Ah battery will last for 2 hours.

I had a feeling that's how it worked before and found that info searching around the net

Everyone I asked even Dewalt themselves told me the same thing... same power no matter what you use

I use the 3rd speed, to drill holes unless it bogs down and electronics kicked in I'd knock it down a notch to #2

I'd be interested to see the tale of the tape on any scientific study proving that.

You might get by with 3rd gear in pine or other soft woods, but in hardwoods or metal you're much more likely to have your bit walk all over the place or burn them up. You just don't need to drill that fast. It serves no purpose and any minuscule time savings is negated by the risks IMO. I suppose you can treat your drill, bits, and workpiece how you see fit, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I'd be interested to see the tale of the tape on any scientific study proving that.

You might get by with 3rd gear in pine or other soft woods, but in hardwoods or metal you're much more likely to have your bit walk all over the place or burn them up. You just don't need to drill that fast. It serves no purpose and any minuscule time savings is negated by the risks IMO. I suppose you can treat your drill, bits, and workpiece how you see fit, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Most of the wood that I use anywhere around here is all soft woods and can easily be done with the 3rd speed... If i was doing metal or anything else harder then most softwoods I'd use the right speed 

I know a thing or 2 about tools myself. An XC battery pack has a higher maximum current draw. Say (for example) a compact pack has a maximum current draw of 1.0 amps, an XC will typically have a draw of 1.3 or so. It's for this reason that some power hungry tools won't accept a compact battery. Either Dewalt is getting less amp output out of their compact packs like everyone else, or their getting a lot less runtime. The only other option is believing that Dewalt intentionally dumbs down their tools for the sole purpose of ensuring they run at the exact same power on both batteries at the expense of not being able to boast top (or near top) torque in the class. Highly unlikely.

having owned and used the 985 for a while now, i consider the 2nd speed the 'extra' gear, not the 3rd. 3rd gear does nearly everything you need (including speed bore auger bits up to ~ 18/20mm). Its comparable to other drills 2nd gear (like the Bosch Destroyer that i also own).

So most of the time it's 1st or 3rd gear. To me the 2nd gear is just a luxury 'middle ground' for doing some high torque applications a little faster than 1st gear - a 25mm auger bit for example.

As for the Milwuakee vs Dewalt debate, who cares? They're both awesome, they'll both do everything you want. As an owner of Dewalt 20v and Bosch 18v lines, i can say without any shame that based on what i've seen on TIA,  i think the FUEL is the slightly better drill due to runtime, length and weight (in that order). But i love my 3 speed and the 985 is a monster!

• Like 1

I know a thing or 2 about tools myself. An XC battery pack has a higher maximum current draw. Say (for example) a compact pack has a maximum current draw of 1.0 amps, an XC will typically have a draw of 1.3 or so. It's for this reason that some power hungry tools won't accept a compact battery. Either Dewalt is getting less amp output out of their compact packs like everyone else, or their getting a lot less runtime. The only other option is believing that Dewalt intentionally dumbs down their tools for the sole purpose of ensuring they run at the exact same power on both batteries at the expense of not being able to boast top (or near top) torque in the class. Highly unlikely.

Well my 1.5 ah packs on my 985 don't last very long driving lets say a 1 1/4 inch spade bit wide open on the 3rd speed it might only do like 10 holes before it dies but the difference between the 985 and my 780 is quite big in the Torque dept but just about everywhere on the internet plus Dewalt has told me the same thing about the batteries... I think Milwaukee uses the electronics to tell it what battery is in there and if it can supply the extra power because only Makita and Milwaukee from the looks of it make more power with bigger batteries...

If the Dewalt is making all power on any battery that's a plus to me because I have 4 of the 1.5 ah batteries and for the work I'd be doing all those batteries would be plenty and I'd be getting all the power I'm suppose to have